Drill bits for metal

Good evening folks. I'm looking for a drill bit set from 1 to 13mm (ish), 0.5 increments preferably. I haven't bought a full set for years. Failing eyesight now makes me struggle to sharpen anything less than 6mm. Most of my existing bits in this size range are now well beyond the use by date. All used quite frequently to drill mild steel, non-ferocious metals. Sometimes plastics. Rarely (if ever) stainless. No doubt drill bit technology has advance much in my absence. Any recommendations please. I'm after something of decent quality and durability. I realise this will come at a cost.

Many thanks, Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Greenwood tools

does discounts on Dormer sets which are very good quality

Otherwise have a look at MSC/J&L

Their list prices are high but the Advantage catalogue (look under "sales flyers" usually has discounts on good quality sets. Hertel and Guhring are OK. Beware - prices don?t include VAT or delivery.

Reply to
Norman Billingham

Not quite what you want, but keep a look out for the sets Lidl do a few times a year. 0.5-10mm in 0.5mm steps in a steel pop up case. Decent quality at a very good price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The ones I have are cobalt I think, and go through mild steel like the proverbial knife through butter - but I buy them as/when I need them, so I'm not sure how available full sets are. They're not particularly expensive, given that they should last quite a long time.

:-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Ditto. The set I bought a couple of years ago has had wide and varied use and none of them have broken or worn out yet, which I find surprising.

Reply to
grimly4

I prefer 1/16" to 1/2" in steps of 1/64", which fit my Dormer drillstand. My local (about 10 minutes walk away) "four candles" type ironmonger keeps a good stock of decent HSS (including zrgevp) bits to replenish those that go the journey.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Not many of those around these days, Frank.

Reply to
brass monkey

Screfix and Toolstation have TiN-coated sets and also the individual bits in packets - very useful for replacing the more frequently broken sizes. They seem to drill most things, including stainless steel. Cobalt would be good but are expensive and need coolant - not always possible to use due to mess/staining.

Reply to
PeterC

Standard HSS twist drills of decent quality are very cheap. Titanium coated bits last a good 3x longer, and behave better with aluminium.

NT

Reply to
NT

Fine if you don't actually need metric drills which I do. I have sets of both metric and imperial. And a number set.

The Lidl ones - at just over a fiver last time I bought them - are ideal for most things. And in a nice strong case.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Depends where you buy them. My local very decent toolshop charges an arm and a leg for Dormer ones sold individually.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

then why buy dormer. HSS bits are easy to get right, manufacturing- wise.

NT

Reply to
NT

It's one of the better known quality brands. That most decent suppliers sell. Otherwise, it's somewhat of a gamble.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I always bought my drills from these people and found anything they supplied to be of excellent quality:

were also very helpful when I was not sure of the best drill for the job I needed to do.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar