Doorbells - what is it

We have a fully working doorbell. I really can see how you can miss it. It's about 4'6" off the ground on the lock side of the door - exactly where you would expect to find it.

Luckily, I work in a front room, facing the street, so I can see people coming up the path. That way, I know they are there, because for some reason very few people seem to know what a doorbell is for. I've just had a guy pathetically tapping the glass which seems to be what they must teach nowadays.

I must ask the next numpty why they didn't use the doorbell.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

most people now call you on your mobile to say they are outside your door rather than ring the bell and maybe disturb you.

I don't understand ............

--

MarkBR

Reply to
Mark BR

Oh I'm glad you posted this. I get this as well. In fact my bell has to be pushed quite hard but not excessively so, so not only do I get the double glazed knock but also the wimpy push brigade as well. I explained that my bell push is perfectly normal, its old and hence needs mor than a gnats wing to press it though. I have a door phone as well and this seems to confuse them when my disembodied voice appears on a little speaker box. Where have these peaople been broaght up?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

He will undoubtedly say "They never work". And you will show him that yours does, and he will ignore the next one he comes upon. So sad. Mine works, too, if anybody bothers to push the button. They never do, it's a disease.

Reply to
Davey

We have a Georgian style "pull" knob right in the middle of the door. (Cast in brass from the original designs alledgedly, but works great with those wireless senders!)

A lot of people don't realise it's a door bell and that it has to be pulled...

Not surprising, but ...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Now you're really going to confuse them! Sounds nice, too.

Reply to
Davey

It probably reads "PULL" on the knob thats why they wil get confused. :-) you need to change the wording to text speak!

Reply to
ss

The obvious answer to this is touch technology. Two versions. 1: The glass on the door is set up as a touch screen sensor and then the taps operate the door bell.

  1. The handle is designed like those handles on digital radios that when you touch them something happens, in this case the doorbell.

I have noticed that on porches most callers try the door. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

And what about knockers?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Actually, the biggest problem is that people outside can't hear the doorbell inside (2 heavy old doors in the way), so they end up knocking too. Will rememdy that one day - fairly easy with those wireless units now..

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

I have a sounder in the porch. They would know this if they tried USING THE DOORBELL ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Dragged up, maybe put a note next to it saying "DO NOT Push Hard" might wor= k ;-) Years ago I used to hang importent message upside down on doors and windows= or make really bad spelling mistakes and them someone would come up and sa= y you've put it up the wrong way of spelt it wrongly so I asked them what w= as wrong and then I'd say well at least you read it. A notice which says please close the door behind you seems to work better u= pside down or perhaps that's just with students ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

I wonder if a burglar alarm window sensor(*) could be used to detect such rapping and sound a remote bell or WHY?

(*) Vibration rather than break glass.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

THe answer to this is simple. Most door bell that don't work look like they should work. therefore there is no way of telling if a bell is or is not working.

To press and wait is fine if the bell works but useless if it is not working.

So press and knock will normally get a result but some tired / fed up people just knock because that always makes a sound.

If you are expecting to knock 250 doors and the time waiting becomes important. At 30 seconds more each that equals 125 minuets wasted or 2 hours on your working day.

I did door knocking for a dg company so I know what it is like. also how many people block the house door with cars etc.

Reply to
Gary

Your theory sounds fine, but doesn't explain the increasing majority of callers who *only* knock. Which won't be heard in the garden.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

You would be surprised how many either don't work or aren't heard. I've rung many & waited like a lemon for someone to answer. Now I ring the bell & also use the knocker/bang on the door.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Oh. And why don't people ever put piggin numbers on their houses that can be seem?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Our area has names instead of numbers, but the comment is still valid. Last winter, I walked past a courier driver trying to find a house, but it was after dark, and not all names could be seen. He eventually found where to make his delivery. The next day, in daylight, I saw that the house in question has a dark wooden sign, with the house name engraved into that, and it hangs in front of the porch light. Duh!

Reply to
Davey

Then I likely don't want to talk to you anyway.

QED.

Reply to
Huge

That would be a Nanny State law I would support. Every premises has to have a number that can be seen from the street.

(Although I'd struggle; My house doesn't have a number and the nearest public road is a 1/4 mile away.)

Reply to
Huge