DIY Coffins?

In Corrie recently, one of the characters who was dying, made arrangements for a DIY coffin to be delivered.

Does anyone know if these things are really available, and where from?

Reply to
Alan Holmes

If it's a DIY coffin you DIY!

Before the event of course - or for somebody else.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You don't need to have a coffin. Cemeteries will accept a body in a shroud. However you can go to the following websites for info on where to purchase coffins from about £50 upwards.

BeeJay

You might find something here ..

is your friend.. Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

Reply to
John Stumbles

OK perhaps I can suggest

:

"Chipboard Coffin £65 No hardwood content. The coffin is supplied without fittings, interior or plate. It is ideal for painting by the customer."

I think that painting it will make it qualify as DIY.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I guess we could have a whip round for IMM/DrKnobHead or whatever he has transmogrified to this week. D'ya think he would take the hint?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McKay

The mind boggles at the prospect of having to screw the lid down when you're

*inside* and *dead*!
Reply to
Set Square

No, must at least be self-assembly with an instruction sheet comprising incomprehensible diagrams and no text or pidgin english, and selection of fastenings not matching in number, size or position the various holes and cutouts in the wooden pieces. Oh, and at least one piece of cardboard which it's unclear whether it's part of the thing you're making or just packaging.

;-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

I've got this vision of the bottom dropping out as the 6 bearers are lifting the thing onto their sholders. Well, it would be a funeral to remember at least...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Only if you use magnolia or brilliant white emulsion.

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Perhaps IKEA do one with a silly name...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Perhaps there ought to be Building Regulations for coffins/caskets.

Over to ODPM...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

An addednum to schedulewotever of the building regulations?

Reply to
B Thumbs

Popaclog?

Reply to
David Lang

Ah, the Ikea one - probably called the Swedish equivalent of 'Happy' or 'Lively'

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Well, they do claim 10% of Europeans are now conceived on an Ikea bed. 10% of Europeans buried/cremated in Ikea coffin could be their next company target.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

There are already burial regulations.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

There are US states where the funeral director lobby have managed to get it made law that only a registered FD can sell caskets, thus stopping discount casket outlets from setting up.

Elsewhere in the USA ...

"CHICAGO ? From cradle to grave, Costco wants your business. Literally. The warehouse retailer, which peddles everything from baby cribs to giant jars of mustard to wood chippers, now hopes to close the deal on your final purchase: a casket ... Two Chicago-area Costco stores began test-marketing six models (all priced at $799.99) this week."

Reply to
Tony Bryer

As they're currently offering £100 in vouchers for anyone showing up with credible mattress receipt and birth certificate, that could cost them !

(Bristol, allegedly)

Reply to
Andy Dingley