Disposal of 4litres of petrol with 2 stoke additive

How is the best way of disposing of this? could it be added to a petrol car Without detrimental effect?

Reply to
Broadback

I think that is what I would do, maybe just a litre at a time (before filling up). But don't you know anyone with a chainsaw, etc?

Reply to
newshound

Pour it down the bog and chuck a match in

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I would take it with me when next filling the tank. Juts add some before filling up.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Yes - just not too much at a time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

no, added oil makes 4 strokes smoke & thus deposit junk. Give it away on freegle/gumtree.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

wait until November ...

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

The reason I need to dispose of it is because it as deteriorated with age, so will gum up my 2 stroke tool.

Reply to
Broadback

If you know someone with an old, pre-Cat convertor, car, 4l in a tank full shouldn't be an issue. In a more modern car, maybe 1l / tank.

In older cars, reps used to run petrol cars on a mix of diesel + petrol as it was cheap- they didn't worry about any damage (if any) etc. Never tried it (not that I was a rep) but I understand, they ran fine.

Reply to
Brian Reay

If it will gum up a 2 stroke, then what will it do in a 4 stroke, even if diluted by lots of excess petrol? I'm not sure I'd risk it in a modern engine where it could gum up an injector nozzle.

How about pouring it into a wide shallow container (lots of surface area) out in the open and *away from any chance of flames/sparks* and let the petrol evaporate. Then dispose of the remaining oil at the tip (or "recycling centre" to use its Sunday school name).

I wonder how long it will be before 2-stroke devices are banned on the grounds of a) evil-smelling oily exhaust, and b) penetrating whine from high-revving engine which is usually run intermittently and at varying speed (a constant drone from a 4-stroke is less annoying than a varying and high-pitched buzz from a 2-stroke).

Reply to
NY

OOI, have you tried it in your 2/ tool and if not, how do you know it will gum it up?

'Gumming up' is normally what I would refer to if you leave fuel in something, the lighter fractions evaporate leaving the heavier stuff /

2/ oil behind and that 'gums' (soft blocks) jets etc?

Left long enough and all the liquids can evaporate leaving things like cellulose (?) behind that blocks (not 'gums') jets with harder debris.

I left my old Royal Enfield Bullet for 3 years before trying to start it again an after a quick jiggle of the float jet and a few kicks it started and ran ok. The petrol smelled more like paraffin! ;-(

Fresh fuel is always preferred of course ...

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

How can you be sure? I mix up 5L of 2-stroke at a time for my strimmer that usually lasts me a couple of years. Always seems to start...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I wasn't suggesting using it in a tool.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

My mum had a friend who used to add a few gallons of diesel to a tank of petrol in her split-screen (older model) Morris Minor every so often to "de-coke" it. I'm not sure how well diesel fuel ignites by spark, or how well it flows through a fuel pump and the nozzle of a carburettor. Apparently one time she added the diesel at home and then realised that the tank was nearly empty so the car had to run on almost neat diesel as she was driving to the garage, and it produced lots of black smoke :-)

Running a car on diesel and petrol "because it was cheap" must go back to the days when diesel was about half the price of petrol - those were the days... When did diesel start to rise rapidly in price to bring it close to the price of petrol? I *think* by the time I bought my first car in the mid

80s diesel was slightly cheaper than petrol (as opposed to half the price), though since my car was petrol I didn't pay too much attention. By the time I bought my first diesel car in the mid 90s, diesel was already level with or even slightly more expensive.
Reply to
NY

I find that diesel is 2p or 3p more expensive than petrol.

Reply to
charles

Yeah. There is the story of the rugby player at the pub (well it would be one of them) who went out to his car and came back with a beer mug full of petrol to pour on the barbie as it wasn't going very well. He duly poured the stuff on - result, serious burns on one arm all the way up to his elbow.

About on a par with the woman who sat in her kitchen with an open fuel container, transferring it to jars or summat - with the gas stove lit.

Darwin Awards all round.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes, it was slightly less the petrol (probably 2-3 p/litre less) for a while, then it gradually rose to be equal, then a bit more and then at one stage was 10 p/litre more, after which the difference has reduced to around

2-3 p more.

The small garages that charge a lot for fuel because there is no supermarket or big-name garage nearby are the ones where there is greatest difference between petrol and diesel.

The highest I've paid for diesel was 151 p/litre in May 2011 when all the other garages were charging about 140. That was somewhere in north-west mainland Scotland or maybe on Skye - wherever it was, it was the only garage for miles around so I had to fill up there. I couldn't even put in a small amount because I didn't know when I'd next find a garage. Normally if I run low and the only garage is extortionate I put in the bare minimum to get me to a supermarket garage.

I once made a real pillock of myself: I kept going past garages thinking "I'll hold out for a cheaper garage". And I found one: diesel was several p cheaper than all the garages I'd passed. But I accidentally put in "gold-plated" premium diesel rather than the normal stuff, so I ended up paying a lot more than if I'd stopped at one of the more expensive garages (assuming I hadn't made the same mistake there). To add insult to injury, the car didn't even run more quietly or more smoothly, or have better acceleration or better fuel economy. I felt really conned, because I could perceive no benefit for paying about 10 p/litre more :-(

Reply to
NY

Pour it on the ground well away from any grass you care about.

Should be fine.

Reply to
543dsa

Never heard that one. Adding some petrol to a diesel used to be common in cold weather.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How old is it. I'd have thought many jobbing gardeners and others with hand held two stroke devices would be glad of it before the EU bans it as polluting. If its too old and the octane level is low, then I seem to recall some of the companies who dispose of old paint will handle it. as for what happens in a car, I'd suggest it is not a good idea in a modern car, unless you want a lot of clogging up and knackered catalytic converter. I suppose if you put it in in egg cup fulls a month or something it might be OK, its all down to the dilution and its the oil which is the issue here. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff