Dishwasher detergent

Far fewer problems with liquid detergent but doesn't clean the dishes as well

Reply to
David Godfrey

In my machine, I stopped using liquid because it formed something that looked like hard water scale on the element that would flake off and block the water jets (only it isn't hard water scale as it doesn't dissolve in acids).

All dishwasher detergents became less effective about 18 months ago when they had to remove the phosphates. Often this is unnoticed if you use tablets as for most washes there is way more detergent than is needed, but if you more accurately dose liquid or powder according to the washing load and fat, then this was more obvious as more detergent was needed.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I use the bulk powder from CPC, in 5kg or 10kg tubs.

The biggest problem is getting UPS to deliver it in one piece.

Reply to
Bob Eager

You can buy the phosphate on eBay ...

:o)

Reply to
Huge

Oh, is it any good? I never thought of looking there. Actually, I can't find it on their website. Got a part number? At the moment, I use Sainsbury's, since Waitrose stopped doing it.

At least they don't use Yodel...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Seems fine to me. I used to think it smelled a bit chlorine-y in use, but either that's changed or I've failed to notice it any more.

Part numbers SA01339 (5kg) and SA01340 (10kg).

As it happens, I ordered some about two hours ago, and I had a struggle finding it (again). The magic keyword is 'dishwashing'.

Well, half the problem is the way it's packed (or not). Order it separately to anything else.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I have always been a fan of Cascade Platinum Actionpacs. Just to compare, b ought some Finish powder recently and it keeps clumping, which means that o ur dishes were coming out dirty and needing rewashing pretty much every tim e we ran it. So, will ci=ome back to Cascade again. You can surely do you r own research by reading reviews from

t-dishwasher-detergent/ , and playing with various detergents.

Reply to
tetianashpek

I have always been a fan of Cascade Platinum Actionpacs. Just to compare, b ought some Finish powder recently and it keeps clumping, which means that o ur dishes were coming out dirty and needing rewashing pretty much every tim e we ran it. So, will come back to Cascade again. You can surely do your ow n research by reading reviews from

shwasher-detergent/ , and playing with various detergents.

Reply to
tetianashpek

They're all the same, it's just detergent.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

When I tried all the brands of dishwasher tablets here I found no difference. They're not as simple as just detergent, but there doesn't seem to be any significant difference in performance.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

bought some Finish powder recently and it keeps clumping, which means that our dishes were coming out dirty and needing rewashing pretty much every t ime we ran it. So, will come back to Cascade again. You can surely do your own research by reading reviews from

dishwasher-detergent/ , and playing with various detergents.

I did look at the link but gave up after the first round of idiot bs

Reply to
tabbypurr

They're not exactly the latest in technology, there's no reason they shouldn't all be the same.

But I have found that washing machine detergent is crap if you buy the cheaper supermarket stuff. And the cheaper soft rinse is neither soft or smells nice.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Well f*ck me with a ninepin.

I am not

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just had a new 5 kg tub of the Shorrock Trichem stuff from CPC delivered. Lasts ages.

Reply to
Bob Eager

5kg? I use individual tablets. What pisses me off is they wrap each one separately. Why?
Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I find the Aldi all-in-1 tablets are as good as any - about 8p per pill IIRC. Unlike the link above's 'budget' pick - Ecover at over 20p/pill.

Reply to
RJH

To make them child proof 'cos idiot kids think they're sweets! Trouble is they are not only child proof they're adult proof as well! With arthritic hands I have a hell of a job getting them unwrapped.

Reply to
The Other John

There's nothing on god's earth which is more child proof than adult proof. By their very nature kids are better at opening fiddly things. The PC fuckwits are fooling themselves.

Besides, shouldn't it be up to the parents to keep the tablets away from their kids?

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Normal powder is about 4p a dose.

Reply to