Disc Brakes

Dave Plowman (News) brought next idea :

Or they know how to look out of the windscreen to ease off the loud pedal early and drive smoothly, instead of racing from hazard to hazard.

Yes, pet. I can just visualise you peering over the top of the wheel, hands clenched tightly to the top of it. Concentrating on never having to use the brakes. With a vast queue behind you.
--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack?

Nice you stay true to form and don't understand a complete sentence. No wonder you believed the leave campaign.
--
*I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges*

Except he didn't did he ? So that while most people use their cars as the most convenient way of getting from A to B with the least aggravation, you try and use yours as a way of settling old scores with various groups in society. In this case overpaid police drivers. Except that you failed.

Aside from failed attempts to fool police drivers, try that too often with types who think it perfectly acceptable to drive a few feet behind you in a slow moving motorway queue and you eventually end up getting shunted; with all the accompanying aggravation.
When in the trance like conditions which can be invoked by a slow moving traffic queue some drivers need the constant stimulation of brake lights coming on in front of them as a wake-up call.
Like a lot of of the responses in this thread, one might be almost led to think that your only experience of actual driving was on red dirt roads dodging the occasional kangaroo.
michael adams

No, clearly not. That's how he's suggesting Harry drives.
Maybe you should try reading it again ?
Or if that doesn't work, maybe you could show it to somebody else.
michael adams
Dave Plowman (News) formulated the question :

Hardly sweatie!
I leave most drivers in my dust on the open road, but what I will not do is go screaming up to a hazard to have to brake. Quite simples really, you just look and plan well ahead.

Or jammed up the arse of the person in front, constantly jumping on and off the brakes
--
I don't have an attitude problem. If you have a problem with my
attitude, that's your problem.

Is this another who claims to leave enough distance from the car in front he never needs to use the brakes?
Place is full of idiots or liars.
--
*A day without sunshine is like... night.*

Dave Plowman (News) pretended :

Hardly, it seems only one is doing that at the moment and his name is at the top of this post.
You can never hope to avoid all use of brakes, but brake use can be reduced dramatically by leaving enough space and constantly scanning back and forth to the far distance for potential hazards and maximising sight lines. You keep an eye on the vehicle ahead, but never rely on his seeing the hazards ahead of him assume he is asleep at the wheel, often you may well be right - so you take every opportunity to see well past him.
I have near 55 years of zero claims, despite my being on the road around the EU and UK much of my life.
It happens that Huge formulated :

Another pet hate of mine, many find it intimidating being followed so closely.

And plenty of those who don't find it intimidating find it a damned nuisance to have to be more careful about when you brake so that the fool behind you doesn't end up running into the back of your car.
On 12/05/2017 17:06, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Its bloody annoying having some pratt so close you have to slow down.
On 08/05/2017 17:13, NY wrote:

I went over to Bangor on the A5 a few years back, in a Cavalier SRi, with the uprated brakes. Shortly afterwards I noticed a vibration under braking... when it happened again after I went back I decided to use the engine a bit more over the Welsh mountains.
Brakes aren't _that_ much better than they were then.
Andy

Depends on what you mean by 'then'. Try comparing the brakes on an old Jaguar with drum brakes against a modern one in a panic stop from top speed.
--
*A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.

I'm not, because I know its because I don’t use the brakes that much.

But when you only change the pads once in 45 years, its hardly surprising that the discs are still fine.

I don’t normally slow the car at the lights with brakes. I do usually apply the brakes just at the end so the car doesn’t drift forwards or backwards while waiting for the lights to change, but that obviously doesn’t wear the brake pads any.

Not with me. I hardly ever use the brakes in hilly country except when actually pulling to a stop before applying the handbrake after I have stopped.

I don’t.

I do very little engine braking in the sense of changing down a gear in hilly country.

Sure, but there arent to many that do a hill like that daily or weekly.
NY wrote:

I had a pad on my Renault 20 wear down to the backing, which made for a gentle run home. There was a monitoring wire which fed an indicator, but because it was on the easiest side to run the wire, it was also on the side of the caliper which wore least. :-(
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

Wonder if it would vary according to LHD or RHD? More dust etc to the brake nearest the kerb?
But chances are one caliper was partially seized if one side wore down much sooner than the other. As you get plenty of warning on the side with the indicator.
--
*7up is good for you, signed snow white*

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't quite clear. Both wheels were monitored, but only one pad on each.
As it seemed to me at the time, the pad on which the cylinder pressed directly had worn least. I reasoned that, without anything having seized, the mass of caliper probably acted to leave the other pad slightly more in contact with the disk when released.
I only had the car for a couple of years from new, not a lot of miles, but the first set of pads also took the disks very close to the scrapping limit. I was not particularly pleased.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk
On 09/05/17 11:14, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Sliding callipers are the spawn of the devil.
Should be banned :-)

..I'd spend it on drink.

Er, are you saying that when brake pads have sensor wires, only some of the pads and some of the wheels have those sensors? That makes the very big assumption that the pad with the wire happens to be the pad that wears first.