delayed

ebay are saying deliveries from china may be delayed ? ....
I expect nobody wants to touch them in case they carry the virus. Its interesting as recent info suggests its about as contagious as flu, but like flu the people who do not just get a bad cold are those with other issues affecting their breathing or immune system.
I just wonder how many of the other viruses we see each year are in fact new and just because they have not started in a very precise area, have just been allowed to run their course? Certainly several recently developed anti virals seem to help with people who are badly affected by this one as they block the common machinery needed to replicate the rna of the virus and scramble it. The danger is that there could be side effects due to the action producing toxins etc. Still I'd rather be a bit ill than dead. Brian
--
----- --
I'd have thought the delayed grand prix might be worrying more people... grin. Brian

Well, I personally feel that my original statement is probably going to be true, ie its nowhere near as infectious as Measles or chicken pox, probably as bad as your average winter virus, and for most normal people, not dangerous, but the problem is you do not know if you are one of those for whom it is dangerous, but we do not know that for sure about all the viruses circulating anyway. OK its right to be careful, but if we did this for every new virus each year, then it would cripple all economies. In the main here we are attempting to keep it out of countries where there is poor healthcare infrastructure, since once it is established there, it is inevitable it will spread. Brian
--
----- --

On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 14:52:30 -0000

You can't be 100% sure of that until you've given dead a go.

but unfortunately you can't change your mind if you find it's not to your liking...
--

Chris

Nobody has come back to complain, I guess, famously Harry Houdini said he would, and has not, so its seemingly the final curtain. Brian
--
----- --

That fool that was stupid enough to get nailed up but the romans is claimed to have come back.
Kerry Packer did too.

How do you know that ?

Not for all those Indians. But then we know they are mostly liars.

But its less clear how long it survives on inanimate objects. Some viruses can last for months.

That’s less clear with this one.

More that they don’t kill so many so quickly except with flu.

So how come the doctor who discovered it died ( Li Wenliang).
The coronavirus mortality rate appears to be several orders of magnitude greater than common flu.
On 13/02/2020 14:52, Pancho wrote:

Is it or have we generally built up an immunity to the types of flu seen over the past few decades. When flu morphs into a different strain in future we could see the death toll seen 100 years ago.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 13/02/2020 16:19, alan_m wrote:

That is why I said "common" flu.
But yes, flu could mutate into an especially severe form. Hopefully modern medicine would be better at handling a modern version of Spanish flu. I see they quote about 6 months to develop a new flu vaccine. I'm not sure how difficult it will be to develop a vaccine for nCoV. Hopefully if we can delay it arriving here for a year or two, we will be OK. Although, we still don't have an AIDS vaccine after 35 years.

Its already there, 9 individuals in fact and sure to be more now that it is clear that at least one GP is one of them.

Yeah some viruses mutate too fast for a vaccine to be viable.
The common cold is another example.
On Thursday, 13 February 2020 19:22:14 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

Because the common cold isn't just one virus it's over 200 which have similar symptoms. That is basicly why it's called the common cold.
I wonder if royals get common colds ;-)

Because it mutates so fast, like flu does.

Wrong, as always.

Nope, they get royal colds, stupid.
On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 16:51:45 +0000, Pancho wrote:

Better at handling the secondary effects like pneumonia with anti-biotics. Not sure modern medicine would be any better at dealing with the virus itself. Probably depends on when and where it mutates and how similar it is to something we already have a vaccine for. The seasonal flu jab, is cocktail of vaccines for the three strains that they think might be ones circulating in the coming winter.

The WHO are going for around 18 months... The problem is very little money is likely to be made, so "big pharma" aren't really interested. There is also the risk you spend millions on developing a vaccine only to have good containment cause it to die out.

The next few days to a week might be interesting...
--
Cheers
Dave.

Yep, that’s certainly the main reason for the difference.

It keeps doing that right now.

Its possible, but its likely that we would control it better now that we understand how to do isolation better.
But that’s tricky to do with a virus like this one where an infected person is infectious before they have any symptoms. But forcing people to stay at home like has been done in china does fix that problem too.
Gets tricky with feeding them tho,
On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 14:52:42 +0000, Pancho wrote:

Mortality of seasonal flu varies greatly but averages about 1%. Covid-19 seems to have mortality of 2 to 3 %. SARS was around 10%.
The big problem with Covid-19 is that some one infected becomes contagious possibly days before they show any symptoms. So it gets passed on before the infected person self isolates or presents and gets sent to an isolation unit.
--
Cheers
Dave.