DDA

A mate of mine has nearly completed the construction of a new house, only the beginning of this week he had a visit off one of the Local Authority Building Control Officers. Take into consideration the place is very nearly completion he picked up the height of all the light switches which are at 1350mm and he wants them all lowered to 1200mm. He also picked up a small hallway toilet where there is a small door fitted, there is only enough room for a W\C and a tiny handbasin, now I am aware that disabled W\C 's have to have a 1500mm turning circle My mate has built this for himself when he retires he has no intention of selling it so where does he stand The drawings were passed by the L.A. with only a small clause written refeing to part M of the Building Regulations

Reply to
CDOYLE0361

The devil is in the detail.

the Approved Document for part M.

P84 has the piece about toilets

P55 has the piece about light switches.

There are present and ex BCOs here who may comment further, but I suspect that the LA won't let him get away with it. After all, they could say, what happens if he becomes infirm during retirement and becomes confined to a wheelchair?

Reply to
Andy Hall

What did it say?

Reply to
Tony Bryer

He is missing the point. The thinking is that buildings should become accessible not just for current occupants, but for those in future occupancy not to mention visitors. Then there is always the possibility that he or his wife may become infirm in the future. In any case Part M covers both the items mentioned so he has no case for not complying.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

On 26 Nov 2004 14:24:58 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (CDOYLE0361) randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

So, your mate won't have anyone who is in a wheelchair, or has some other disability which makes bending down or reaching up difficult (such as arthritis) visiting him during the rest of his lifetime, much less not ending up with any similar condition himself?

Has the BCO been since first fix? If not, then this would have been the first time he's seen the sockets and switches. The WC needs a

838mm door (giving 750mm clear) but not a 'turning circle' as such.

Either he didn't read the plans properly, or the 'architect' drew the plans to pass Building Regulations rather than to build from. Either way, the fault isn't with Building Control for requiring that the work complies with the Regulations.

BTW, this has nothing to do with the DDA (Disability Discrimination Act).

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Not answering the question here I'm afraid but adding a supplementary one of my own... if you rewire an existing (ie old) property, are you compelled to position all the new switches and sockets at wheelchair height? If not, will this be affected in the future as a result of Building Control becoming directly involved in checking wiring under Part P?

David

Reply to
Lobster

I think this only applies to new buildings, and not to rewires nor even to extensions on existing buildings (unless they already conform to Part M).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 12:36:32 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named "Lobster" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Provided they weren't between 450mm - 1200mm before, then no. For extensions, changes of use and alterations to dwellings, the only requirement is for access and facilities for disabled people to be no worse than before the work started. This won't be affected by Part P (although, if you have a BCO around, they may notice if you have altered the height of your sockets or switches).

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Then he appeals on the grounds that the house isn't suitable for disabled users on numerous other points not in the regs so it's no point lowering the switches which will obviously be re-raised to the correct height straight afterwards.

Reply to
Mike