Darwin Award

Could this be the latest candidate?

Roger Mills

So the coroner is to write a prevention of future death report to send to Apple. I hope they ignore him. I do get fed up with stupid safety instructions that so often come with product these days.

Reply to
Michael Chare

He had the "extention cord from the hall" (a trailling socket?) resting on his chest. HTF is the Apple charger implicated?

Reply to
Graham.

I think the coroner should actually be writing to the makers of extension leads insisting that "do not use in the bath" be stamped on all new units and milk bottles with "open other end" on the base.

It wasn't the Apple charger that killed him it was the mains on the input pins to the Apple charger immersed in water. An electric fire or hair drier plugged in would have made him just as dead.

Definitely a Darwin Award candidate.

Reply to
Martin Brown

There's a reason you don't find power points in bathrooms. It just sounds like this bloke was begging for trouble and I cannot see how you can prevent idiocy of this magnitude.

And this magnitude: "The underlying message is, although someone can argue that the cable that's going into your phone is 5V, that's the point where you're taking too much risk."

WTF is that supposed to mean??

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

And all Essex girls to come with a tattooed arrow showing which end they want to be f***ed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Maybe. If it were the pins on the charger then where was the path for the current through his body? With pins that close the current would drop off quickly as you moved away. Maybe the charger didn't have enough isolation and the other end became part of the path allowing more current through his body? There isn't enough information to actually know whether the charger contributed to the death.

Reply to
dennis

That sounds like something Chris Morris might have pursuaded some gullable/greedy celebraty to say.

Reply to
Caecilius

Michael Chare formulated on Friday :

It read as if the end of the extension was rested on his chest, so nothing to do with the Iphone, the charger, or Apple.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

My old man (electrical engineer) got called as an expert witness to a coroner's court once (probably in the 50s) - apparently, some bloke had balanced a mains heater on the side of the bath and it fell in.

Not sure why they wanted an expert opinion... Mains in bathwater is bad

- mmmkay.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Same logic as exactly halfway through this video?

ARW

Yup, a priime canddate. It's simply a 21st century variant of Darwin's natural selection. Jolly sad for the family but good for the global gene pool.

I bought a new car recently and 2 weeks later am still wading through the handbook, more than 50% of which is made up of dire warnings that would have been laughable 30 years ago.

As I age there an increasing number of things that make me despair and we need to fight back against this creeping PC crap. This guy was dumb and paid the penalty. End of story.

Reply to
nospam

Undoubtedly true but I've just come back from France and couldn't help noticing they have power points in all their bathrooms, as do other countries I've visited. Do they have a special safe form of electricity, or simply fewer idiots? Either seems unlikely, so maybe they just accept Darwin. It would be interesting to now what the fatality rate from these causes is in such countries.

It just sounds

Reply to
GMM

Well obviously some people need them.

Reply to
mechanic

Naw it ought to made mandatory to have "life lessons" in the 1st year of Primary school. Show by demonstration and actually let the kids find out that the mains fing hurts, petrol will have your eyebrows if used as a fire lighter... Just a few additions to the bit of the curriculem that includes how to cross the road, cycling proficency, stranger danger, safe surfing and so on.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's getting like road signs... There are so many of them, 1) you get fazed and fail to notice the important ones; 2) You stop thinking for yourself.

My IAM (advance driving) observer asked me why I was slowing down on bends last week. His argument was: if the bend is bad, it would have a sign. Personally, I regard a sign as a bonus and the absence of which does not mean the route does not need one. But he was a decent bloke so I didn't want to argue. But if I get him again, I might...

Same with these stupid "Do not use this angle grinder wire brush attachment to clean the cheese off your helmet" bollocks. People now expect the warnings and if one is not there, they assume it must be OK to do it.

I don't even think half the warnings are even designed by the experts. Why does every bloody bathroom fan and central heating component come with a "must be fused at 3A"??? I bet most would be fine with a 6A Type B MCB that is the most common on a domestic lighting circuit - and if not, build a suitable fuse into the sodding unit!

I rang Myson the other day - "your Lo-Line fan coil heater (wet coil): what is the power consumption of the fan?"

"I don't know: it's hard to say how much it would cost to run, it depends on how you use it"

"No... I want to know the max (plate) rating. It says it needs a 3A fuse. I might run it off the CH power - but I have a boiler, another CH UFH pump and this - it's not a given all of that will be happy on 3A".

"Oh - let me look at the manual".

"Don't bother - I've already downloaded it and read it right through"

*sigh*
Reply to
Tim Watts

How many signs do you pass in this 200m bit of road?

ARW

And several unnecessary...

But who are the two scallys at the bus stop with a bag of tinnies?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Plural required!!

Reply to