Damp House

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home" saying something like:

Hah. I'd need a bigger cupboard :) Not a bad idea, actually. Only the lenses and the better cameras are kept in the small cupboard (which is really a set of office drawers) and if I were to keep all the kit together it would fill a small closet / cupboard with room for a D-H. Hmm... an old wardrobe would be a starting point.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Rod saying something like:

Ah right - outside; all is clear.

Been 23C and 72% here all day - indoors.

It's amazing the difference the transpiration of plants makes to the ground - an area I knocked the grass and weeds from a few months ago became quite sodden, even allowing for the extra rainfall, as last year the same ground in the same weather wasn't anything like as wet. There's huge amounts of water carried up and away like that.

Of course, in a wider sense, there's all the extra land drainage which doesn't give the soil much of a chance to absorb the extra water and it gets channeled off into watercourses to flood the unlucky sods downstream.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Of course they work. The question is where they're getting the air from. Unless the area is sealed they're going to be pulling in air from elsewhere, possibly from outside.

Reply to
stuart noble

What? They take air in one side and pass it out the other. In the middle it goes over cold coils on which water condenses.

Reply to
newshound

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "newshound" saying something like:

It raises a point - will moist air from outside infiltrate a drier area? I appreciate the room air will be circulated throught the DH, but will it attract moisture from outside via the normal air leaks in windows and doors?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It won't attract moisture.. it will remove the moisture from draughts into the drying area.

Reply to
dennis

If the leaks are small, the DH will cope. If not, you'll be dehumidifying the great outdoors. You can't really have ventilation and dehumidification.

Reply to
stuart noble

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home" saying something like:

Yes, but will humid air tend to displace dry air? I just wonder how important room sealing is - if not, then I need have no particular worries, if so, I'd better attend to it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember stuart noble saying something like:

If there's a through flow of outside air, it would definitely be a waste of time and money, true.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Fan assisted to tend to blow more air out and be dryer inside than a convection oven. This extra mositure ends up in the room...

Exterior walls will be colder than interior and it happening at the same time as the cooker change...

Thats what mould does, spores in the air. Not a great deal you can do TBH they are everywhere all the time just waiting to find a suitable habitat to grow.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If you can get such a tiny dehumidfier. B-)

Anyway is the damage caused by the water vapour in the air or just the damp/condesation if the objects get close or below the dewpoint? If the latter just keeping 'em warm with a low power heater (15W tungsten light bulb?) will do the trick but if it's the absolute humidty in the air then you are into sealed cupboards and a control system to regulate the humidity both up and down.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Bigger electricity bill? You shouldn't need to use a dehumidfier if the air is being changed properly and really warm wet stuff from cooking and bathing is extracted.

A humidistat controlled fan is just an extractor fan that comes on when the humidity of the air is above a preset amount, it goes off when below. This isn't a dehumidfier they draw air through themselves and over a cooled surface to condense and collect any water vapour in that air.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

??? My fan oven doesn't blow air out.. the fan only circulates the air. It would be a pretty stupid design that blows the air out after you have heated it.

Reply to
dennis

Wow! A hermetically sealed oven...

Reply to
Bob Eager

It has a 1" vent, and the fan doesn't blow air through it.

Do other people really have cr@p ovens, that leak like sieves? Mine wasn't exactly an expensive top of the range one.

Reply to
dennis

I bet more air comes out of that hole with the fan on than off. Fan ovens are drier inside than a convection, that moisture must get out some how.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

My double oven Neff (both fan assisted) certainly blows out some air.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It almost certainly has a second fan that circulates air between the inner and outer casing for cooling - my Neff oven does - and that's what you can feel.

Reply to
Huge

Indeed, the second fan stays on after use on mine, specifically to cool the oven, they recommend not leaving the door open to cool it faster, in case the escaping heat harms the seals.

Reply to
Andy Burns

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Liquorice" saying something like:

The former, really - it's fungus in lenses and cameras I'm trying to guard against. There's never any condensation, but fungal growth will be inhibited if RH is below 50% to the best of my knowledge. At the moment RH in the room is 70% and tends to range between 60% and 80%.

I've decided against trying to seal the room - too much hassle and it would be all for nought every time a door or window was opened out of necessity. So, a big cupboard is the thing - I have a wardrobe-sized shelving unit which I can enclose and keep relatively sealed, with a heater in the base of it. It'll be cheap enough to give it a go - got to be better than the current storage system, which is a drawer unit for the lenses and most imporant cameras - only prevented from getting damp by the drawers not being opened much. As a temporary measure I have plenty of plastic Tupperware-type containers for lens storage which I will use with silica gel packets to keep the RH low inside. Getting more silica gel packs locally is a problem - I've run out of the small stock I had acquired over the years and they have a finite life anyway.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon