DAB aerial

I have to agree. I can't watch Mr Bean either.

David.

Reply to
David Looser

Ditto. The movie was funny-ish, but the TV series just struck me as cruel.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

In article , Paul Martin scribeth thus

I was on about their Radio service's for the avoidance of doubt;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Move along a bit. I want to sit with you two. I've just watched "Dinner for One" on YouTube, stony faced and silent throughout.

Reply to
Huge

Depends how old you are....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Well... we both know that cuisine is not a Teutonic strong point.

Humour tends to be in a different place as well.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Well, it's only some 7 years after the first sit-com on UK TV ('56 - Hancock's Half Hour) which by the same criterion has been running 50 years. So how else would you describe it? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It was when I was last there. Has it changed since the wall came down?

Reply to
Eiron

I think that it's generally poor. A lot of it is poor quality of basic ingredients, a problem in the UK as well, but I think worse in Germany. Even Italian restaurants are not great there unless one is lucky to find a good one. I find that using the restaurant guides is pretty essential. OTOH, I don't particularly care for boiled meat, fatty sausage derivatives and schnitzel of various kinds.

The UK used to have a poor reputation for quality and presentation of food, but TBH, these days, as long as one chooses well, we are doing a pretty good job, despite the limitations of available ingredients.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It was never great. There were always isolated pckets of good cooking, but in general catering in Germany leaves everything to be desired. Still, I've only been eating there since 1979 so perhaps there was a golden age before that?

Reply to
Steve Firth

What it comes down to Bill is that a non-yagi aerial is essentially a piece of wire in the air - albeit high up in the air. There may be a mismatch at the aerial end which could cause a couple of dB loss, but the offset of the increased signal will far outweigh that loss.

Essentially any vertical aerial at roof height will give a so much bigger signal that everyone will think it is brilliant, even if technically it is not!

Reply to
Woody

Yes. In general this is correct. I call it the 'motorbike' principle, after the man on one of the estates who put his old motorbike on his neighbour's flat roof and used it as a CB aerial.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 10:59:39 -0000,it is alleged that "Bill Wright" spake thusly:

Now _that_ would have made a lovely photo for your site :-)

Reply to
Chip

Yes, and I had a photo of it but it was pre-digital and I can't find it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

It wasn't an "Ariel" bike, was it?

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

B-boom!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Why on earth did they decide on the F-type connector for DAB aerials, it is a total pain to connect and is a matter of trial and error to get a good connection why didn't they go for BNC?

Ken

Reply to
Unsteady Ken

when BNC connectors first appeared we thought the abbreviation stood for B***** Nasty Connector. Unless you can find crimp ones, and they have to be the correct ones for the cable size, they re very difficult to assemble correctly - and the cost quite a bit more, too.

Reply to
charles

You jest? Fitting a screw on F-type couldn't be simpler. BNCs require the correct crimping tool. They're also several times the price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There are crimp less types - if they're still made. With a universal cord grip. Think there are also screw on types these days too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)