Cutting galvanised steel tube

I got mine from a tool stall in Wimbledon Stadium car park Sunday market for a fiver. I've got two 4.5" angle grinders and they both fit. I've just looked at it and there's no brand, but it will be one of the common cheapies.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've got a basic compound mitre wood saw from B&Q which I think is down to about 30 quid these days and don't use because I've got a sliding one with a bigger blade. Wonder if there's a metal cutting disc that would fit? The speed isn't a million miles away from an angle grinder - certainly no faster.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's pretty good going for an abrasive. What brand of disc is it?

Reply to
John Rumm

The message from John Rumm contains these words:

Dunno - hang on, I'll wander down the garden and look.

Only a tiny shred of label left. Had a blue painted core.

Reply to
Guy King

The wood cutter on this Taiwan effort was 210mm the nearest metal cutter I could find was 180mm at Machinemart,but it done the job and I can now cut steel pipe perfect and at right angles also. :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Precisely.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Right - I'll give it a try. It's lying unused under the workbench. It was simply too small for most of the wood cutting I do, but would be fine for most metal stuff.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Norton possibly? Their diamond stone cutting discs take plenty of punishment before giving up.

Reply to
John Rumm

Get down to Lidl pronto - they should still have a few of last week's angle grinder stand. That and a cut-off disk is a usable way to cut this sort of stock.

Otherwise (if this is going to be a habit) then the 150ish quid bandsaws (Sealey, Clarke et al) are dead handy and not too expensive. More use than a power hacksaw, certainly (I use both, and the Rapidor hacksaw only ever gets used for 2" thick unobtainium)

Don't get a reciprocating saw. They cut OK, but clamping is a pain. So the results are poor, the noise is horrendous and the vibration will shake your fillings out.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The message from John Rumm contains these words:

No, certainly wasn't a Norton. Was a cheapie from the local trade tool shop. £3, IIRC.

Reply to
Guy King

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 23:44:46 +0100, Andy Dingley wrote (in article ):

I am outside the UK this week, so that one's out. Also, the nearest one is quite some way away. Could order the Axminster one, though.

It isn't going to be a regular thing. I don't do that much metalwork, although do do some work with plastics for jig making. I can see that the metal-cutting bandsaw is flexible which would be appealing. However, it's physically quite large, I guess, and I am not sure that I could justify its floor space in the workshop. Thought though.

Shouldn't be problems there. I don't have any amalgam ones :-)

The renting a tubing cutter and pipe vice idea quite appeals, assuming it will cut through the material OK.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I've read through this thread looking for someone to answer the question, that if you cut galvanising how to you re-seal it ? If the assembly is to be made of coated steel then there it must be required to be used in a situation where the galvanising is complete - cut it and rusting will occur.

I want to build a conservatory of galvanised 2" box section steel as there is a headroom problem using anything else and if I buy it in and cut it how do I then protect the exposed ends, drill holes, etc.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

The message from "robgraham" contains these words:

Buy plain, put it together (the frame, not the whole thing!) then take it apart, send it to the galvanisers, then put it all back together again.

Reply to
Guy King

On 17 Jul 2006 12:41:52 -0700, "robgraham" had this to say:

Use zinc-rich paint on all the cut surfaces.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

========================== 'Galvafroid' paint - roughly 'cold galvaniser'.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Reply to
<me9

The message from "Cicero" contains these words:

Great stuff provided it hasn't sat in stock for a year or two. I had a dozen tins once which the boss told me to stir. The zinc powder had settled into the bottom and was thoroughly stuck. Took /ages/.

Reply to
Guy King