Crumbly bricks

In a victorian terrace that I am renovating, there are a few extremely dry = crumbly bricks underneath the stairwell (there is concrete ground floor and= no visible damp anywhere. Posts on this site suggest PVA or fibre-resin. C= an anyone add to this and recommend one. I want to paint the wall inside th= e cupboard white and make sure if anything garzes the wall that half the br= icks don't fall out!

Reply to
cool cucumber

That's a funny place to find crumbly bricks, but that is where the 'B' grade bricks and less skilled brickie will have been deployed.

For making the surface stable, paint them with well watered down PVA so that it soaks in well, and then let it dry. This won't do anything to strengthen the bricks, just stop the surface coming away when you plaster it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

y crumbly bricks underneath the stairwell (there is concrete ground floor a= nd no visible damp anywhere. Posts on this site suggest PVA or fibre-resin.= Can anyone add to this and recommend one. I want to paint the wall inside = the cupboard white and make sure if anything garzes the wall that half the = bricks don't fall out!

thinned pva, plenty of it so it soaks well in & doesnt glaze. Don't worry about getting it soaked, it'll dry out. Then you can fill & paint, once its dried out properly.

NT

Reply to
NT

If you want a little more strength and a horrible smell till it dries, use a solvent-based "stabilising solution" - a watery resin which soaks in and glues them back together. But PVA will give you 80% of the effect for 20% of the trouble.

Reply to
Zapp Brannigan