creeping gutters again...

Here's an installation guide:

brackets are straight and the gutters hook over and clip on. I prefer the internal brackets. They are stronger for leaning ladders against, and the brackets can't be seen from the gound so the gutters have an uncluttered look.

Reply to
Matty F

For mine, it was actually on the 'collector' part that sits between the gutter and downspout - it had a lines showing different expansion factors for different lengths of guttering and temperature ranges. Buggered if I could make sense of it, though, so I just winged* it :-)

  • I did wait for an "average" day and then centred the hole in the gutter, plus made sure that the ends of each 12' piece were a sensible distance from the support brackets.

Oh very few houses here bother to collect roof run-off into any kind of drainage system / soakaway - people just let it spill from the downspout straight onto the surrounding ground. I don't recall ever seeing that in any other country.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I've only ever seen internal ones here. I had metal ones last year, and ice build-up in winter tore the whole lot down - the supplied fixing screws snapped where they attached to the fascia.

I've replaced with plastic ones this year and will see how that goes. I think the problem with the metal ones was that they had a U-shaped portion, so the fixing screws went through metal, then an inch or so of gap, then more metal; under severe load the U-shaped portion would distort and make the screw go slack, at which point the whole gutter was able to twist and snap the screws. With the plastic ones, the screw just goes through a big lump of plastic, so the gutter should remain clamped tight to the house even under extreme load.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson