COVID-19 UK graph

http://www.vukcevic.co.uk/UK-COVID-19.htm
Not checked the numbers
--

Chris

If its a graph, what does it look like and is it linear or log based? Brian
--
----- --
On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 07:50:10 -0000, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\)"

Main graph is log. Inset is linear. Both versus date. Shows both occurrence and deaths rising 'linearly' on the log plot.
--

Chris

On 24/03/20 07:56, Chris Hogg wrote:

There was an interesting page on TV text last night which, I think, summed up the situation more clearly than anything I've seen so far.
Basically, it said that from the time the first patient was diagnosed in China to the 100,000th becoming infected took 67 days. For the next 100,000 it took 11 days. And for the 100,000 after that it took 4 days.
They don't quote sources on TV text, and I haven't looked it up to check. But I can well believe it.
--

Jeff

Yes it is.

The log one is roughly linear.

Its both, the main one is log based with an insert of the smaller linear one.
Of both hospital positives and deaths.

On 24/03/2020 07:26, Chris Hogg wrote:

Official PHE data is here: https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/f94c3c90da5b4e9f9a0b19484dd4bb14
On 24/03/2020 07:26, Chris Hogg wrote:

Once they stopped testing everyone who might have been infected, they just don't know the number of cases, just the number who have died.
My daughter who is a school teacher thinks she has had it. She probably caught it from another teacher who in turn caught it from a child who had been in Italy. She asked Interflora to deliver some flowers on Mother's day. The flowers cam a day late and Interflora sent her an email to say that she would not be charged.
--
Michael Chare

On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 11:49:07 +0000, Michael Chare

Probably glad to get rid of them, under the circumstances.
I wonder if we will modify our behaviour in the future after all this, where we stop doing things like growing flowers to cut them down and bring them indoors to die?
I'm seeing more and more funerals where they request 'no flowers', because many see them as expensive and a waste (considering most go in the skip as soon as the mourners leave), requesting people donate the money to a charity instead.
I can't remember the last time I bought anyone flowers and there is no point buying them for my mum as she has a garden full.
Same goes for cards, especially when you consider the cost (card, envelope, postage) and the waste, compared with giving the people a phone call or even Skype [1].
Cheers, T i m
[1] The Mrs is currently having a Whatsapp video chat with an elderly lady across the road that she normally pops over to visit. Much more welcomed / appreciated than a card or bunch of flowers.

Bernard Shaw was once asked why, with a garden full of flowers, which he obviously liked, why he didn't have any in vases in the house. He said he liked children, too, but didn't cut their heads off and put them in vases.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 14:09:36 +0000 (GMT), charles

;-)
And he had a good point. ;-)
The problem is, I'm pretty sure many people (often sons on Mothers day for example) who put very little effort into choosing / getting the flowers for their Mums, just what's on offer at the local petrol station on their way there.
Years ago my Mrs worked in the city as a PA and *choosing* presents / flowers for her bosses wife / Mum / girlfriend were considered part of her duties. Not sure how much 'thought' was 'counted' by him on those occasions? ;-)
My point is much of this isn't done because the people believe it's the right thing for their specific situation, but that it's what 'other people do' and therefore, so must they.
Cheers, T i m
On 24/03/2020 15:19, T i m wrote:

Its also a rule written in all the good "man" handbooks: "Flowers fix everything" ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.
On 26/03/2020 13:28, John Rumm wrote:

Not if they are bought at a petrol filling station though !

all you need to do is to remove the wrapper and price tag.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On Thu, 26 Mar 2020 13:28:11 +0000, John Rumm

Not here it wouldn't and possibly why I've never bothered (or needed to?). ;-)
Whilst even I appreciate the beauty of nature (flowers for example) I really think they are best left where they grow (wild) or even if they are cultivated by us (to look at and help things like bees, not to be cut down in their prime, stuck in a vase and often be no more appreciated than artificial ones). ;-(
To be forcing flowers to be grown in artificially heated greenhouses where one could grow stuff for people to eat seems strange to me (especially at the quantity you see coming out of the likes of Holland). We know *why* that's done of course, a rose will probably fetch more money than a lettuce. ;-(
It's all (now) part of the social indoctrination, create an event and make it that it's 'expected' you go along with it and it's 'rituals'.
It generally carries on until it gets particularly bad then people wake up and question the logic of it all. I think this Coronavirus will do that for quite a few things people come to realise they can actually / easily do without.
Cheers, T i m

I doubt it. Didn't happen with SARS even in the worst affected countrys.
On 26/03/2020 17:40, T i m wrote:

I would argue that its all trade / commerce, and hence its the single most effective way for a country to raise itself out of poverty and increase the standard of living for its inhabitants (when coupled with non corrupt government).
So while it may *seem* frivolous, non essential etc, it leads to and facilitates more substantial and important things.

Quite possibly, and in so doing destroy the livelihoods of many of the populous and wealth generating power of countries as a whole.
I don't buy the whole "sack cloth and ashes" shtick as being in any way "better".
--
Cheers,

John.
On Friday, 27 March 2020 11:13:41 UTC, John Rumm wrote:

then they start doing things that are actually useful, resulting in everyone being better off. Society has advanced precisely by getting rid of numerous jobs that are no longer valuable.

no need to go that far :)
On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 04:16:20 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
<snip> >> > It generally carries on until it gets particularly bad then people

Exactly.

Quite ... in the same way we don't 'value' trades over here because we are relatively wealthy and can now fixate on what brand of trainers or golf club to buy, rather than respecting someone's practical skills.
It's different if someone chooses to pay someone to do something because they don't have the time or equipment to do it themselves (but they could if they did), but few people seem to be able to do anything any more nor care to even learn or understand.
<snip>
Cheers, T i m
On 28/03/2020 12:01, T i m wrote:

I wonder who you think should decide what are and are not "things that are actually useful, resulting in everyone being better". Perhaps the people who know (or the person who knows) t h e y know best.
--
Robin

Society mate.

It's the lowest common denominator. When the sh1t hits the fan, who can be of most use to society, to mankind. Just because the sh1t hadn't hit the fan, didn't make their roles any more credible.
I have no issue with aid workers having a football kickabout to relieve the stress of pulling bodies out of the fire / water / rubble etc.
But it's only ever been 'a game' and should always have been treated so.
Hopefully we will get a reality check with this Coronavirus (although looking at how some seem to completely disregard the rules and disrespect their fellow humans with social distancing and the like, I'm not that hopeful, unless Darwin gets to them like they deserve etc), then 'Instragram Influencers' can join the dole queues along with the footballers and Nail Technicians.
Cheers, T i m