Conventional CH boilers on the way out?

And where do you live?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It had me perplexed in urc until you explained :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

A pad in central London and a house in the country.

Reply to
IMM

Well what is he carping on about then?

Reply to
IMM

If a boiler is developed over 86% without condensing then it passes. BTW, most regular boilers have peak efficiencies of over 90%. It is keeping it at that point that is the problem.

Reply to
IMM

I didn't read it as carping.

Don't get hot under the collar ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mary, I am always as cool as ice. When you see me tango you will see why.

Reply to
IMM

I'll give that a miss.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In article , Ed Sirett writes

Its hard to believe that most of the country is still without mains gas, OK so its mostly the green bits but there seems to be very little being done about expanding the network, I have not had gas in a house since

1985 and this was especially galling when I lived less than 1/2 a mile from a high pressure line
Reply to
David

Agreed. The SEDBUK reflects the ability of the overall appliance to respond to all the conditions is has to operate under.

I typically measure efficiencies on most conventional fanned flue boilers at around 85%, which is pretty good since that is out of 90% max.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

In message , IMM writes

Did you mean cold as ice?

I hate sugary citrus drinks, I'll give that a miss

Reply to
geoff

A daughter has no hope of getting mains gas - she does use bottled gas but mostly electricity. So do all her neighbours - but when you're half way up a Welsh mountain you're quite a way from a high pressure line. She's just grateful for electricity. Getting BT to run a line to her farm buildings was a difficult job.

But the concept of heating other than wood burning is a novelty she's not even though of!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In article , Ed Sirett writes

Until the gas runs out. Will we be fighting the good ole US of A for supplies?

John

Reply to
John Rouse

We'll be long gone by then. If gas prices were to go up by a factor of 2-4 there are vast reserves around under the UK Continental Shelf. They are just too expensive to extract ATM.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

In article , Mary Fisher writes

But still in range of a BG 3* publicity crew :-)

Reply to
Andrew

AFAIK North sea gas is running out fast, and the contracts being signed up now for Russian and Norwegian gas are going to put up the cost a fair bit.

Reply to
Andrew

I remember a few years ago reading about vast blocks of the stuff lying around on the ocean floor - as a solid due to the pressure at that depth. At the moment the cost of extraction is sort of similar to getting a man to Mars, but if prices go up enough I expect someone will devise a way to get at it.

Reply to
Neil Jones