composite decking

[6 lines snipped]

Bingo.

Reply to
Huge

This made me think!

If you look at the deck boards I use

You will see that they have grooves on one side & ribs on the other. I always lay them ribbed side UP.

I believe the grooves are 'anti cupping' grooves and that the likes of B&Q incorrectly believed they were for anti slip reasons and sold them that way. the TDA suggests the grooves are water channels to allow drainage.

In fact, the grooves reduce the area of timber in contact with the sole of the shoe by about 50%. The ribs on the other hand, being fairly small add grip because the sole can mold around them.

If you look at Lowes and Home Depot web sites, none of the deck boards have any sort of groove or rib. Given that the USA is the home of decking and they have a compensation culture I deduce that deck boards aren't inherently slippery.

Just a thought....

Reply to
David Lang

Yes, an interesting one

Reply to
stuart noble

Drainage is already allowed. Adding grooves impedes drainage

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr