Comparing Batteries ?

I have posted this on a couple of disability groups but activity is virtually nil.

I am in need of some new batteries for my wheelchair and mobility scooter.

So many different makes on eBay. eg MK, Lucas, Yausa, Ritar etc etc etc

Anyone any thoughts on which would be best to go for.

Kindest regards,

JIm

Reply to
the_constructor

on 07/03/2011, the_constructor supposed :

I would suggest they are pretty much of a muchness. Just ensure the one you get is designed for deep cycle.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yausa or Varta would be my first choice

Lucas? ? Back in the 70's, Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which did not suck.

-
Reply to
Mark

I haven't read any of the info within the pages of this link but, it may be of use...

RayL12

In article , Harry Bloomfield scribeth thus

Over time we have used quite a few of these for differing applications standby power motors etc. Yausa seem to have been the best of the bunch:)...

Reply to
tony sayer

Car use and motor traction use are a bit different . The NP would be the best person to ask re batteries he's very knowledgeable on those...

Reply to
tony sayer

Reply to
the_constructor

In article , the_constructor scribeth thus

The Natural Philosopher who posts hereon...

Reply to
tony sayer

Thanks to all who have helped so far.

Next question.

AGM, GEL or Superior GEL.?

12V 33AHr

Jim

Reply to
the_constructor

Hi Jim

As others have suggested - and FWIW, I'd go for Yausa too. My mother-in-law needed some new batteries in her 4-wheeled mobility scooter and that was the make everyone seemed to say was the most reliable.

Just a personal thing - I'd be very wary of buying them off eBay. Better to check around local battery suppliers and pay a bit more - that way, if the batteries don't perform the way they should, you can get them to sort out the problem. I've heard some sad tales of apparent 'bargains' on auction sites. Others may have wonderful tales to tell, but with something as critical as a mobility scooter or wheelchair, you need reliability above all else.

I found the Disability Living Foundation very helpful

for expert advice for her. I'm sure you already know about it, but thought I should mention them for anyone who hasn't heard of them.

Good luck!

Reply to
NewsOnline

Any of those would work fine. Where have you found the best prices on these so far?

NT

Reply to
Tabby

A little off topic as most powered wheelchair users use a sort of fleece, but how do electric vehicle users stay warm?

As efficiency goes up there is no room for "comfortable" heat generation so do the owners of that new one million pound Rolls Royce have to dress up in thermals, or generate a kW or so of heating from PP3,s?

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

Electric heaters. No, really, they just have to top up the waste heat=20 from the motor with juice from the battery.

--=20 Skipweasel - never knowingly understood.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Waste heat?

There is little waste in a modern motor. I would hazard a guess that most of the heat loss was via the tyres and air compression.

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

Electric heaters run from the battery pile. That's why they rarely give the range advertised by the maker. Using lights, indicators, radio, wipers and most of all demisters and heaters reduce range enormously.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Don't worry. Many, many other people sre as slow as you in spotting one of the major flaws in EVs for the UK climate.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q