compact fluorescent street lights

Aberdeen had fluorescent lighting for its main road - Union Street - in the '50s. Each luminaire had about 10 4ft tubes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The larger streetlamp lanterns for fluorescent tubes were normally

5' 80W tubes. 4' 40W would have been too low powered. There were 2' 40W tubes for smaller lanterns for residential roads.

In a search for pictures, I found someone has created a catalogue of historic streetlamps. Here are lots of fluorescent ones:

Andrew Gabriel

================================== No sudden swerve involved. Threads develop, evolve and change direction quite normally without causing confusion. That's why it's advisable to read the thread before commenting.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I might well take you up on that..... :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Ah - right. Only a guess - I was little too then. ;-)

mounted on buildings rather than posts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As I had to drive to the station and back last night I had a look, there are around 8 of which 6 are working but the road itself is very dark they aren't exactly efficient by any means though it does look very "olde world".

Barrow road that is...

;-!....

Reply to
tony sayer

I've taken a few photos;

not clear from the photos whether its 2 loops making a V as seen end on, or 4 loops making a square. I'll have to go back and have a look from a different angle to see.

Reply to
Ben