Compact fluorescent lamps failing

Because it isn't necessary or appropriate in the areas where the focus currently is, especially when it involves playing around with unsuitable lightbulbs and with wallwarts.

Reply to
Andy Hall

That is about 7% saving in fossil fuel at most.

At enormous cost, both financial and evironmental.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We have a building stuffed full of computers. Enough that we have our own substation, and the heating *never* comes on. We are *always* dumping heat. And by next door, I mean a terrace of houses with a closest approach to our building of about 6ft. So while in summer we have heat that genuinely is no use to anyone in winter we have waste heat that could do something useful.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy Champ

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 16:38:31 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@DENTURESsussex.ac.uk wrote this:-

Groups like Friends of the Earth said that decades ago and they still say it today.

Reply to
David Hansen

.. and are taken equally seriously....

Reply to
Andy Hall

I don't give a toss about saving the planet but over-consumption is an ugly and undignified way to carry on

Reply to
Stuart Noble

That depends on where you are in the relative scheme of things and your perspective.

If you are used to a high standard of living and the consumption that goes with that then you may well take a dim view of that being lessened to any significant extent.

OTOH, if you are not, then you might consider someone with a higher standard of living as over consuming.

This extends to national scale as well. For example, the U.S. is often accused of consuming a disproportionately high amount of resource per head in comparison with the developing world.

Is any of this going to change in a big hurry? Don't think so....

Reply to
Andy Hall

I wonder if Mr Hansen uses a low power (< 30W) PC?

Reply to
Bob Eager

And they were wrong then and they are wrong now..

We couldn't support the population level in this country in a renewable green way,

Period.

So some sort of green Nazi death camp? plus serfdom for the green Lords who keep us in permament bondage on three cups of diesel and half a tin of horsehit a day?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That was shipped here on s wind driven sampan, and rickshawed to his door by eager coolies, living on nothing but a bowl of rice and two pipes of opium a day.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't care if it doesn't. People are welcome to their hamster wheel of working and shopping. Doesn't pay what it costs IMO

Reply to
Stuart Noble

That depends on what you mean by "costs" I suppose.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

The things that don't show up on a balance sheet, but which cost a bundle in the end

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Ah - shopping at Lidl....

Reply to
Andy Hall

:) I loved the joke, but I do seriously wonder what our kids (US & EU) will do for a living in future. Their work ethic and development is awesome!

Reply to
clot

I see he hasn't answered yet...30W is easily achievable.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'm not, I have to confess. The PC consists of a CRT that must use circa

400/500 watts and the box that has I'm guessing a 450w PSU. How do I get down to 30W? ;)
Reply to
clot

I was excluding the CRT, but even then a reasonable sized one would use less than that. A 15 inch CRT is about 300W or so, and that should be enough for Mr Hansen - he expects everyone else to suffer for the planet! And my 17 inch LCD flat panel (equivalent to a larger CRT) is a maximum of 45W.

But I digress. I have a machine here that uses a VIA Luke CoreFusion chipset, running at 1GHz. 512MB memory, enough grunt to act as the main house and mail server. With a low-ish power, mid performance hard disk, and a slimline CD writer, it draws 30-35W. If I used the fanless 800MHz version, I could have reduced that further. Yet it still performs pretty well. Once again, Mr Hansen should not require any more - it is adequate.

Remember also that a 450W PSU does not always draw 450W, or anything like it, in most cases.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ah,like traffic lights and traffic calming and congestion charges and bus lanes, and disability access legislation, and equal opportunities legislation..yeah..and making us buy stupid CFL's...well call it 'top down ideologically motivated government micromanagement initiatives' and leave it at that really.. ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sarcasm will get you nowhere..

Mind uyou in a society that taxes people who DO work, allows money to be lent to to those who don't in vast quantities, and gives it away free to those who choose not to, one wonders why anyone would bother to work at all.

I wouldn't MIND so much if they at least let the sort of essential people who actually DO do something useful to get on with it.If I were dictator, Id sack the whole of government, and e.g stop collecting waste bins altogether. My guess is there would be three firms knocking on your door within the week clamouring to charge you a couple of quid a week to take it away for you. And if yiou happened to live up the end of a 5 mile dirt road, and they wanted £50, well more fool you for living there. And not digging your own quarry to dump in in yourself.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher