Coffee maker strainer - how to unblock?

I've got one of those 'barista' style pressurised coffee machines, and a lovely shot of espresso it makes too. However, the stainless steel filter/strainer widget into which the coffee grounds are placed has very fine holes which are becoming increasingly blocked.

What's the best way to clear them? They're too small for a pin.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

On mine IIRC you are supposed to give it a blast with hot water/steam by clipping it in without any coffee and making a dummy cup of coffee. When I try this there is always some coffee colouring in the hot water.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

starts with A and ends with R ?

I have the Gaggia one

warm water and a nail brush works for me

Swmbo prefers a tooth brush.... mine I think

regards

Reply to
TMC

Soak overnight in dish-washer tablet and boiling water then rinse well?

Paul DS.

Reply to
Paul D Smith

En el artículo , David WE Roberts escribió:

Tried that, ta, and it did clear some of the holes (observed by holding the strainer up to the light).

There's a pic here:

think perhaps the brown clag on the bottom is what is blocking the holes. It won't budge with a green scourer, and I'm reluctant to try anything harsher. It might be limescale, though I don't live in a hard water area. There's similar coloured stuff in the bottom of my kettle.

Could try soaking it in a kettle limescale remover?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

worried about what is coming out of your tap. A Brita jug is a quick fix and your coffee should be better, as well as your long term health.

If it is copper it'll come off with tomato. Try some tomato ketchup if the vinegar isn't strong enough.

Reply to
thirty-six

mix 1/2 draino 1/2 water in a glass plate, let the basket set in it for a few hours and be sure to rinse well.

durhamdrywall24