Cholesterol levels

Interesting - and widely claimedon the alternative health sites. We didn't used to have much homogenised milk at all - didn't it used to have its own cap colour on bottles? Until we started to see lots of milk in supermarkets...

At least some supermarket goats milk is homogenised:

"All St Helen?s Farm whole and semi-skimmed milk is lightly homogenised to disperse the cream throughout the milk. Skimmed milk, because it has virtually no fat, is not homogenised."

"Waitrose Goats Milk full cream fresh pasteurised homogenised milk"

I could not find a statement regarding homogenisation on the Delamere site, which is the other brand I see around.

And did you know the cholesterol can be removed from the homogenised milk using Febreze:

Ho ho. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

And therefore almost certainly bunk.

Reply to
Huge

+1.
Reply to
Frank Erskine

Gold top milk was high fat and not homogenised. Unfortunately, once you had drunk the cream off the top, it tasted like chalk water. Silver top was homogenised and, by my recollection, by far the most common bottle on the milk cart. Pasteurised milk came in crown topped bottles and had a rather unpleasant taste, particularly when boiled and served in Camp coffee by my grandmother.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

On 02/04/2013 22:46, Huge wrote: ...

I took it for many years, then I started to get odd pains in my legs. A bit of research suggested this was a possible side effect from statins. After a visit to the doctor, I started a series of trials to confirm they were linked and to see if any of the more advanced statins would cure the problem. I no longer take statins, but I have a naturally low level of cholesterol, so they were only a precautionary measure, not a corrective measure in my case.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

We used to get silver top non-homogenised, pasteurised - with the odd bottle of gold top. I thought the crown-capped "beer" bottle was sterilised? Always looked disgusting and I never tried it. Not sure that the cap colours were 100% consistent across dairies/regions back in the

1960s - but Wiki says this:

Glass bottles

Gold foil - milk from Channel Island (Jersey/Guernsey) breeds (about 5.2% fat)[1] Silver foil - whole milk (about 4% fat - minimum 3.5%) Red foil - Homogenised whole milk Red and silver striped foil - semi-skimmed milk (less than 2% fat) Blue and silver striped foil - skimmed milk (0.1 to 0.3% fat) Green foil - raw (unpasteurized) milk, giving rise to the name "green-top milk" Gold striped foil on a green background - unpasteurized milk from Channel Island breeds[2] Pink foil - Organic skimmed milk Blue foil - Organic whole milk Green foil - Organic semi-skimmed milk

Reply to
polygonum

+1 and -4 (/mmol)
Reply to
Reentrant

On 03/04/2013 08:39, polygonum wrote: ...

To get prices for equivalent doses, you probably ought to compare Simvastsatin 20mg, Atorvastatin 10mg and Rosuvastatin 5mg.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I was put on simvastatin some years ago, and did controlled trials on myself, noting side effects and what happened when I stopped/started.

My doctor was happy to move me to atorvastatin, and I don't really notice any effects, so I would go along with you there.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Old age getting to me - you are right. Ordinary milk was pasteurised.

Lucky.

I very much doubt our milkman carried any milk that claimed to be organic back in the 1950s (nor any that claimed to be inorganic for that matter), nor any raw milk. However, it is on Wiki, so it must be right :-)

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

That's sterilised milk. All milk is pasteurised (other than a small amount which has controls over sale.)

Reply to
Huge

Lucky you. I have high levels and although diet brought it down a little, it was still ~8 (is it mmol/litre? I forget). 40mg of simvastation brought it down to ~4.

Reply to
Huge

All milk is organic - any living matter is (as well as previously living like oil, coal, etc).

Reply to
Tim Streater

The free school milk was definately organic by lunchtime, especially in the summer.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Ah oui! Mais vous avez oublié le paradoxe Francais.

Comme vous pouvez voire, je suis bien, Jacques!

:-)

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I have spent 40+ years trying to forget that and, as I think I might have succeeded, some rotter posts something that brings it all back...

It was pretty horrible in the winter - having been brought in and thawed to lukewarm on/by the radiator/heating pipes.

Reply to
polygonum

My Doctor asked me about my diet and I told him that it's a Mediterranean diet which is true.

The medical profession seems to think this means nibbling some leaves and tomatoes.

Last week's outings to (Italian) neighbours resulted in:

Lancashire hot pot (called something else but that's what it was, made with good, fatty mutton).

Barbecued lamb chops.

Deep fried fish and chips.

Porchetta - which is effectively hog roast.

"Arrosticini" - kebabs.

Deep fried cheese in batter.

Lots of preserved sausage, ham and full fat cheese. All of it well salted.

And of course the odd flagon of red wine.

It seems that way. I don't see Italians eating more healthily than Brits.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Which is why I specifically stated 'claimed' to be organic and why I made reference to inorganic milk in the bit following the above.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Mine rose to 4 when I stopped taking statins.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Ooh, they used to do that in the canteen in the offices in Amsterdam. My mouth's watering.

Reply to
Huge