Chair repair

My wheel back dining chair seat has disintegrated (no corpulence aspersions please). The puzzle is what was the original material. The appearance is a thin version of hardboard!

Plenty of chair webbing and instructions on the web but I think cutting and re-nailing sheet material looks easier.

Could it have been Elephant hide? Chair age unknown but possibly Edwardian.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Some form of treated Leather? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I think you need something that has a bit of 'give', like proper webbing but the Uniroyal stuff is very expensive.

Maybe it was just a tough bit of leather ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Generations of bums have created a curved base which is now split. I have a roll of webbing although nothing fancy.

The wooden tool used for stretching looks easy to make. The problem is likely to be the lack of horizontal surface for applying the recommended

5 nails/staples. The original has a single row of domed brass pins.
Reply to
Tim Lamb

Almost certainly hide of some kind then I would redo with similar.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ok. Now find me a source!

Endless hits on American .com sites. Also fibre board was used! Clue there is the spelling *fiber* and again all sources found are across the pond. Antique chair restoration seems to be their new hobby.

We do have other chairs but grubby Workmates are unwelcome.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Just reading some of this - it does sound as if it was originally leather.. Is there a tannery anywhere near you or an upholsterer? You may be able to get some furniture quality leather that way which you can then use the domed pins with to finish it as before.

I suspect that a rigid sheet material may be very uncomfortable and potentially unsightly but as a 'fix' you could try hardboard covered with leather. This will have a bit of 'give' in it and will retain the leather appearance on the top whilst providing additional support.

Reply to
Bev

Oh I did find a really good place. let me see if I can find it again

that looks a decent thick leather at a discount price

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not so. I have an offcut beside me. 2.5mm thick, plastic imitation leather finish and 6 or so laminations of what looks like cartridge paper.

I am allowed to use a cushion:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Hmm. I suppose at those prices I could double lay if doubtful about strength.

Thanks

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I picked you the cheapest thickest. That's 1/8" leather that is!

Irrespective of what was used originally, and it sounds like it's not a massively well made piece, that would make a marvellous seat that will (in time) mould...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OK - so cheap tat then ;)

I still reckon that a piece of hardboard covered with a piece of leather would do the job. Or, if you wanted to go really cheap see if you can find a supplier of the type of vinyl that was common in the 1970's to trim car roofs to make them look as if they were convertibles.

Or how about something like this to trim the hardboard - sounds as if it could give a similar effect

In which case as a (retired) farmer you must have access to that farming essential known as 'baler band'. You could do a bit of weaving with it across the seat and top off with the cushion to spread your weight a little. Sisal would give a very natural straw look or use a dayglo polypropylene for a contemporary feel to the chair. :)

PS for the avoidance of doubt none of the last paragraph is meant to be taken seriously

Reply to
Bev