Central Heating in new house - pump runs constant when HW only on

Hi,

Got a question about my CH ....pretty much as per subject ...but is this right ?

Backgroud is new house with oil fired central heating (boiler in integral garage with frost stat). HW tank in airing cupboard (F&E tank in loft) with pump and 3 way valve. Thermostat and heating controls downstairs.

If HW only is set to come on AM and PM then I've noticed that I can hear the pump running all the time ( even when say the HW has been on and not been used..so I presume the tank is hot and I'd expect the boiler to not be firing ).

If I have the heating on as well then I can see the 3 way valve correctly moving and the pump runs fine ...but when the room thermostat is turned down the pump switches off immediately.

I thought initially it was the boiler controlling the pump after it had finished firing to help disipate residual heat....but then with the CH and HW on when the room thermostat is turned down it cuts the pump immediately (in this case the HW had already been fullfilled and 3 way valve had switched over to CH only). This implies (to me and my logic anyway ) that the pump is not controlled by the boiler (additionally turning the HW off (from say timed) at the programmer stops the pump straight away too ) ....and I don't think it is a faulty tank thermostat ?( don't think so as water doesn't feel too hot and if I turn the tank stat down when CH/HW on the

3 way valve clicks over to HW only ( implying to me that it recognises from the stat that the HW demand has been met) ...

...so my question is why would the pump continue to run when on HW only and the tank is hot ?...it seems to me that all this will do is transfer some of the heat from the HW in the tank back into the CH pipework.

Thanks...

Reply to
nn8191

nn8191

answered my own question..... Seems the boiler temperature control was turned down to minimum temp which meant the water wasn't hot enough to bring the cylinder water up to 60C as per the tank stat. Because the boiler temp was so low there was little heat loss across the flow and return hence the boiler appeared not to be firing when I was checking - but the pump still ran as the tank was still calling for heat. In fact I think the boiler was heating the water till practically the 60C on the tank stat as the hot water was plenty hot enough and it seemed as though the stat was turning off.

S> Bump....

Reply to
nn8191