carpet laying

Hello,

I see screwfix sell something like a "blunt chisel" used to fit carpet onto carpet grips.

can someone tell me why these are described as being for stairs? Is there a reason they are only for stairs rather than anywhere else?

Why are there two sizes? If buying one for fitting carpet round the edges of rooms, which size do you recommend?

Having had my fingers torn to ribbons by carpet grips, I am eager to buy a tool!

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

I use regular scrapers, they work fine.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

> Please can someone tell me why these are described as being for

Nope, they are very useful for most carpet laying where you are using gripper rods. I suppose they got the name due to the requirement to push the carpet well into the treads on stairs etc.

The larger one. The smaller ones are better for fiddly bits (i.e. like stairs!)

Reply to
John Rumm

>>> Please can someone tell me why these are described as being for

They do - as do bolster chisels. Having said that, the "proper" tools have the advantage of having enough weight of their own to "hammer" the more stout carpets into place, and are also smooth enough to not scratch skirtings etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

> Please can someone tell me why these are described as being for

I don't know why there are 2 sizes. I use a blunted 3" bolster chisel, which always works ok.

You can use these tools round the edge of rooms, but they are particularly useful on stairs - when you need to use a bit of welly to force the carpet into the corner between tread and riser when using two bits of gripper rod with the spikes pointing into the corner.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks, but is there really much difference? IIRC one is 75mm and the other 90mm.

Reply to
Stephen

Provided you store it rolled, not folded!

Reply to
Stephen

Any idea how to remove the stair carpet without damage - in order to paint the adjacent woodwork?

Reply to
Geo

Yes, once you've released the end (usually nailed or stapled down), you can pull it off the grippers, and roll it up, fairly easily - and then refit it when you've finished decorating.

Mine's been up several times, with no obvious damage.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I will resist the temptation to say 15mm... oops too late ;-)

Nope not much difference at all.

Reply to
John Rumm

Lots of fitters seem to do stairs in short sections these days - typically two or three steps at a time.

Reply to
John Rumm

True. I'm not sure whether that's a matter of policy, or simply the most efficient way of using the offcuts when the same carpet is laid in one or more rooms *and* on the stairs.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Probably policy - I have had them do just stairs, and they still cut it into strips. Probably means they can cut a section to width before fitting, and need not worry about it running out of square over a distance.

Reply to
John Rumm