Carbon Monoxide

CO + haemoglobin forms carboxyhaemoglobin which is hundreds of times more stable than oxyhaemoglobin (the normal transporting oxygen state). Does the CO ever come unstuck until the red blood cell is destroyed and replaced?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes, it's a reversible reaction. It can be speeded up by treatment with hyperbaric O2.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

That's a fallacy.

Blood cells do release CO, albeit slowly, and CO is replace more quickly with O2 when oxygen is inhaled.

Fredxxx

That isn't strictly true. It depends on half life within the human body and the level that causes damage.

As:

suggests Carboxyhaemoglobin has a half life of 4-6 hours. Any concentration nominally up to that time will have a cumulative effect, and after 4-6 hours the level will have reached its asymptotic level.

Reply to
Fredxxx

That might well be too late, or other complications might have occurred.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Cash submitted this idea :

Well put, my attitude as well!

If something is seriously amiss, your duty is to point it out, always.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Probably because your blog post is comical, bordering on clinically insane.

Reply to
Adrian

The only blogg post I have read by weatherlawyer is so wrong that its not going to be worth reading any others, he just doesn't have a clue about what he wrote about. I don't think anything was correct.

Reply to
dennis

As are his posts, by and large.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Does that actually happen? CO binds quite tightly to haemoglobin - which is why it's a problem in the first place.

Reply to
Tim Streater

As has been said before, yes it does. From

"The mainstay of treatment is 100% oxygen administration until the carboxyhaemoglobin level is normal. On this regimen the half-life of carboxyhaemoglobin is 74 minutes (compared with 320 minutes breathing air)".

So, even when breathing air, CO levels will drop. Increasing the inspired oxygen concentration speeds the process, hence the use of hyperbaric oxygen therapy sometimes.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

That very paper says that CO binds even more tightly to myoglobin. No figures though.

Reply to
polygonum

The point is though that it's a reversible binding. Of course you might be dead but CO does not bind irreversibly.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The paper does not appear to say that CO/myoglobin is reversible. Is it?

Reply to
polygonum

And this paper suggests that at least one of its effects might be irreversible.

Hearing Loss due to Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

polygonum

Loss of oxygenated blood in the body damages nerve and brain cells.

This was acute/chronic exposure to carbon monoxide.

I would hazard a guess that there was more nerve damage, just just auditory ones. He was found unconscious and remained so for 4 days!

Of course, death resulting from CO poisoning is also irreversible.

Reply to
Fredxxx

I try to keep out of newsgroup fights like this one, but having read the OP's vanity website I can't resist agreeing with you that the man is best ignored!

Reply to
Dave W