car bodging

OK so it is overdue for an MOT. Probably done 1000 miles in the year, barn stored.

Couple of advisories on last years.... brake pipes slightly corroded near flex hose joint and inner side walls slightly deteriorated on rear tyres.

Not much I can do about the tyres but wire brush off any brake pipe rust and coat with..?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Underseal?

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Wire brush off and replace with - NEW BRAKE PIPE ! - you may be driving behind me :)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

The first thing any Test Centre will do is check any advisories from last year either on paper of if necessary online, and check whether the necessary work has actually been carried out, rather than simply covered up; which would probably guarantee a fail. Even if the paper "certificate" is incomplete advisories are also held on the central VOSA database. The bit of paper you get rather than being a "certificate" is in fact simply a printout of this.

michael adams

michael adams

The tester doesn't even see last year's advisories.

Even if he did, the only thing that will define a pass or a fail is whether the item meets the "reasons for rejection" criteria in the tester's manual - TODAY - as it's parked in front of him.

B'sides, advisories are only things the tester thinks you need to know, but which have passed the test. Maybe they're things that aren't testable. Maybe they're a reason why he couldn't perform part of a test as fully as he might.

One common advisory is "undertray fitted" - because it means the tester can't fully see the structure of the vehicle.

Another common advisory is "child seat fitted" - because it means the tester can't fully test the seatbelt on that seat.

Reply to
Adrian

Do nothing. An MOT advisory is just that, its not a requirement to rectify something. Any attempt to cover up the fault will only annoy the tester. If anything just clean the area.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

In message , Andrew Mawson writes

Vauxhall Zafiras don't go all that fast:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

OK. I can manage that.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Its very simple really. If the tester passes the OP's car, the OP suffers brake failure in the near future and it transpires that there was an advisory for slightly corroded brake pipes for the previous year, then without having paid particulat attention to this, possibly as a result of the pipes being covered in gunk,he stands to get in the neck.

IOW, it's in his own interests to check these things.

michael adams

michael adams

Brake pipes which rust are made from heavily plated steel. By the time it starts on the outside, who knows what the inside is like? They're not expensive to replace - just sometimes time consuming. You can get them made from material which doesn't rust.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Your taking too long term a view of the MOT test...

It certifies the vehicle as fit for purposes of test at time of test, not a day , a week, a month or 12 months later.

Inspector failing items that are fit at time of test will soon get it in the neck for not following DoT instructions.

DoT seems to think that 2 year test interval would be a good idea....

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Which rests on a number of assumptions. Namely that parts which are functioning correctly on the date of the test can reasonably be expected barring accidents to function correctly for an unspecified period into the future. With possible exceptions such as electrical components and electronic systems which may fail at any time.

An advisory in respect of corrosion, as in this case, again rests on the assumption that by its very nature unless treated or the conditions which gave rise to it change, that that corrosion can be expected to get worse. Such as to possibly lead to a failure in twelve months time..

All other things being equal, without treatment or a change in conditions the process of corrosion in slightly corroded brake pipes can't be expected to have slowed down in the intervening year.

24 months ago if the MOT inspector is to be believed, there was no corrosion. 12 months ago there was slight corrosion.

And today ?

michael adams

michael adams

Not all advisories necessarily indicate work that will need doing before the next year's MOT. For example my bike MOT sometimes gets:- "Steering headbearing has slight free play (2.2.2)". As the tester always says that's really down to how tight one prefers to have it.

Reply to
cl

Copper is often extremely expensive, and can work harden. Cupra-nickel is the more usual material for 'posh' ones. But decent steel can outlast the vehicle anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I get an advisory most years about slight play in the front wheel bearings on my SD1. Of course there is slight play. They are adjustable, and that's how they are set. If you set them with no play, they overheat and spew out the grease...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed. But of those which do indicate work needs to be done, in this case pointing out slight corrosion which might benefit from treatment at the very least, it makes sense for a tester to make note of those areas, before working his way through the test.

In cases like yours, it's probably simply a case of bringing the free play to the riders attention. Some riders as the tester said may well already know about it and deliberately set their bikes up that way. Others however might not have a clue about such things, and so will get the bearing tightened up so as to set their minds at rest.

michael adams

michael adams

No, get the bloody things replaced. I've had brake failure..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And road salt.

Ford seem to think their brake fluid absorbs water from the air and require a 2 year change!

Anyway, I'm going to brush off the dirt and see what they have to say on Friday.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Regular event on early Minis. Usually snatchy brakes from corroded cylinders though.

I think a limited mileage, stored under cover slightly corroded pipe is not going fail totally in 12 months.

I'll report what they have to say.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The point is there is no 'partial failure' mode with brakes. Either the pipes hold up to the pressure, or you have either no brakes, or, if its a dual master cylinder, one diagonal pair of brakes only.

And all there is left is a hand brake and the engine braking. Ive been lucky. Ive had front suspension fail, and brakes fail and both were at low speed.

Ive also had a bonnet blow up in my face at 70mph in the fast lane of the A1. Not so nice.

I am as parsimonious on unnecessary repairs as the next man, but brakes I don't mess with. Typically even at garage rates, they are not expensive to fix.

I'll be fitting two new discs and pads on the Hippo* in a few months, not because it wouldn't pass a test, but because I've noticed the braking isn't quite all there when I need it.

*
The Natural Philosopher