Can i connect washing m/c hose direclty to drain without u-bend?

Hi guys. I wanted to run the possibility of putting the washing machine drain hose, directly into a drain (without the traditional u-bend). The drain is in my shed from an old toilet in the olden days.

Will this be okay or cause problems? Just trying to save myself a few quid.

Many thanks.

Reply to
lavenders19

just had a thought... when the washer breaks down, the water is drained by lowering the drain hose. Does this mean the washer will not retain water unless the drain hose it at a high position?

Reply to
lavenders19

Yes, it is common with washing machines and dishwashers. I forgot this when the kitchen was having a makeover - I installed the washing machine, dishwasher and tumble drier in the bathroom temporarily, the dishwasher was on top of the W/M and it's drain was not looped up then down, it was only when I put it on and heard it continually filling I remembered about this!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

The U bend is there to stop smells from the drain entering the building.

is this old toilet "drain" already open, or is it blocked up at the moment?

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

The message from snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com contains these words:

Correct. If the hose is laid flat on the floor all the water will run out. You can get round this by having a small hump in the hose. A few inches would do.

Reply to
Guy King

The top of the hump would need to be at least the hose's width higher than the highest point the water get's to in the machine, so I very much doubt a couple of inches will work!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Not OK. You must have a U-bend trap. It will actually break building regulations without one. The hose must go up some distance before entering the U-bend. The washing machine instructions will give a range of allowable heights above the floor, probably above about 50cm.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I found that the pump sometimes runs during the wash cycle for a couple of seconds - with a close coupled waste it then siphoned all the water out!! Had to replumb...

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

The message from "Sparks" contains these words:

Ah, sorry, you're quite right. I forgot all about keeping the water in during the wash and was just thinking about keeping a waterseal after emptying.

Reply to
Guy King

thanks for all comments so far. i will go and buy a washing m/c waste kit.

The toilet drain, currently has the sink waste going into it and the remainder just blocked up with a rubble sack scrunched up.

Seems to work as no smells get up into the shed.

Reply to
lavenders19

And I bet the sink waste has got a trap on it!

You say you want to save a couple of bob. It will cost you around a fiver from a shed to buy a proper Washing Machine trap and prevent drain smells entering the building. As someone has pointed out already, building regs require you to have a trap.

Reply to
Bookworm