Call me scrooge

Now that I am getting too old to do much D_I_Y I tend to watch quite a lot of day time TV. There are many adverts trying to get money out of me. Of these a number appeal to me, however they never state how much of my cash actually goes to the cause advertised. Why does not the charity commission insist that these figures are included in the adverts?

Reply to
Broadback

I'd like every high street store to advertise in the shop window, what percentage of profits goes into paying the actual shop and warehouse staff ...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Surely none of the profits go into paying the shop and warehouse staff. By definition the profit is what is left over after paying things like that...

Reply to
Andrew May

You have to lok elsewhere for such info. There' used a site which listed all main charities I found a few years back. Here's one that has a few listed.

whisky-dave

Profit on turnover.

Items sold in a shop have profit margins. Pays for everything, otherwise there is no point stocking them.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Broadback used his keyboard to write :

Adopt a donkey, a gorilla, a snow leopard, an elephant, a village needing water - endless ads wanting money and most of it goes to those who operate the charity.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I am opposed to organised charities because they enable the government to welch on the implied social security guarantee of the National Insurance scheme.

However, I do donate to those unfortunates who are well outside both arrangements, the down-and-outs, the alcoholics and the Big Issue sellers.

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downst

Some may be sold as "loss leaders" to encourage footfall etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

Try funding some charity that isn't paying a levy to the Football circus.

Adrian Caspersz

I suspect you have in mind the markup - the difference between the price paid for the item and the price at which you hope to sell it.

That's not the profit margin. The profit margin on an item can't be known in advance as it means allocating a share of all the costs of sales - including what are in the short term at least "fixed costs" such as rent - to each item and that depends on how many things you sell.

Reply to
Robin

I wonder the same the result of this is that I never give anything to any of them as I consider the advert must be costing a packet and if the cause was just it would be taken up for free on one of the stations current affairs programmes. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Unfortunately its the hidden poor like those who are blind who cannot get work or older and being denied pip for whatever reason and do not have the advocacy skills to fight their corner when it should be a right, since there are far too many professionals claiming when they do not need it at all, simply cos it can be. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Good grief. I hope he never runs a business.

Gross profit is what you make on what you buy, by selling it, Net profit is what is left over after overheads and staff and accountants and the taxman are paid.

Gross profit is often as high as 60%. Net profit is usually down below 10%

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not that much now with so many chanels on TV. I think it used to be about £30k for 30 seconds. But even in the TV companies give the advertising for there are other costs involved.

you mean like the one where a blind person was asking for a guide dog so he could get about. Who paid for him to be filmed and audio recorded, even in simple TV things such things as props and makup artists are needed then you have to get the camera to the location.

A friend of mine got some bands to play a benifit gig for an alzheimer's charity. But it still cost money to put on, aecurity staff needed employing a sound engineer, people to sell beer at the bar, ticket and flyier printing. The venue needed hiring, surn ethey might have done it at cost price but it still costs.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Amazon never made a profit for years

Reply to
Andrew

Oh dear, that sounds the same as that that was used at to control admissions to the former work houses, which were for the deserving poor only and the undeserving poor were refused admission.

Yes, I've no doubt that I get taken for a ride by some claimants but by having a false indignation about them would mean that the really indigent would go hungry.

But is there any real difference between a professional beggar and anyone living off the taxpayer; especailly when HM pays no taxes and yet collects taxes from a;;.

Besides, the papers everyday are full of cases of fraudulent benefit claims even for the official channels.

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer

Pamela formulated the question :

Same here. We see the very same 20 something immigrant in the high street, in the same place, every day of the week. 'Beeg Issueee Magaaaazine'. Its a wonder the shops she stands outside, haven't complained about her.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It happens that Jim GM4DHJ ... formulated :

We used to get lots of them knocking at the door, so many I put a sign on the gate 'no chuggers'. It mostly works, but they still try it on in the high street.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

A seller of the Big Issue is likely to be bona fide indigent.

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downst

They will upset boris if they do he supports more immigration.

Reply to
dennis