C4 wing ripped almost right off

So I swung into the drive at my BiL's house, and clipped the hedge with the left front wing just a smidge. And the bastard hedge grabbed it and nearly ripped it right off.

I think it was a small branch that got trapped between the front edge of the wing and the headlamp mounting. Several clips and bits popped and round it went. So there I was 60 miles from home with the wing at

90deg to the body. Luckily it's plastic and the BiL had the tools to undo the clips so we could more or less re-assemble and reclip it. It'll need a new wing as one mounting point is not a clip but a big bolt through a hole in the wing; that mounting snapped off. Also the wheel arch is no longer attached to the wing.

Well that'll be a few notes.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Relevance to a DIY group?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

He did it himself :-) Tim has my sympathy, easily done.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

In the 21st century you'd think they could make cars a bit tougher. The= simplest thing would be to make bumpers rubber so you don't have to buy= a =A3100 bumper which saved your =A3100 other part behind it.

-- =

The average lifespan of electronic devices is between zero and infinity,= or 2 days after the warranty runs out, whichever comes first.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

When I were a lad (long before the 21st century!) the Post office had used to have vans (Morris 8 Series E?) with rubber front wings.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Why not throw it away and buy a proper car?

:o)

Reply to
Huge

Ouch.

Reply to
ARW

Well what do you expect from the French? There is an old joke that that particular manufacturer, builds the heater or air con and then assembles the rest of the car around that. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Well he had to diy it to get it back home again.

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

It was a bit odd since, round here, one has to drive scraping along hedges a lot of the time. And so does the klod coming the other way ifn you don't want to biff each other.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Its the bumper AND the bit behind that saves you in a crash.

The car has to be 'safe' when you run into a pedestrian at a few miles per hour.

Add weight to the car and reduce the mpg.

Reply to
alan_m

havn't you invested in a hedge fund?

G.harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Reply to
Tim Streater

On Sun, 01 Nov 2015 10:00:50 -0000, alan_m wrot= e:

Why should it?

The flimsy plastic bumper does nothing for safety. It's not a crumpling= device, it just breaks.

-- =

An elderly man was stopped by the police around 2 a.m and was asked wher= e he was going at that time of night. The man replied, "I'm on my way to a lecture about alcohol abuse and the= effects it has on the human body, as well as smoking and staying out la= te." The officer then said, "Really? Who's giving that lecture at this time o= f night?" The man replied, "That would be my wife."

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Those too. I'm pretty sure that I've seen Morris 8-derived vans (like the first ones shown here

) with rubber wings, too.

Reply to
Roger Mills

On Sun, 01 Nov 2015 14:40:26 -0000, Roger Mills w= rote:

It would also hurt the pedestrian less that you hit, if we're going to t= alk about health and softy.

-- =

How do you titillate an ocelot? Oscillate its titalot.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

My dad used to drive one :-)

Used to have a brass fire extinguisher inside, carbon tetrachloride? I can still smell it.

Reply to
David Lang

Did the vans like to catch fire?

-- =