Burn hole in worktop

It is an easy task to use a router to remove an even level of worksurface to inset something into it, although if you have not used one before, see if you know anyone who has. The only difficult bit is keeping the router on the old surface level. It requires confidence to think about two tasks and not just the router cutting. The most difficult task then is to square up each corner with a chisel. (If you are making a square cut out)

Reply to
EricP

Mark out the corners MrPand if you have a drill stand with drill? put in the thinnest woodbit you can lay your hands on and drill through the corners first before routing this will then only need filing the corners after routing without the need for chisling. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Hmmm.....

Reply to
TimB

Depends on the diameter of router bit used. But I take your point.

Still hate those shoes though. :oPPP

Reply to
EricP

Thats because your older than me. :-P

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Its a self solving problem then. She'll soon do something that will immediately make you realise how totally trivial the burn mark was. Trust me on that one.

If you must do something that will soon be overshadowed, dont even think about inlaying anything. Any crack or sealant imperfection, however small, will let water in but not let it evaporate, and chipboard has no toleance for water at all. Whatever you do must sit on the surface, or you'll soon be buying a new worktop.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

There may be a much better solution than all the above, if it is a standard work top. There are on the market very thin reconstituted granite surfaces which overlay on top of existing worktops. I have seen them advertised but not sure where. A bit of searching on the net maybe?

Reply to
Housemartin

The message from snipped-for-privacy@care2.com contains these words:

Like announcing impending grandchildren.

Reply to
Guy King

Twins or triplets?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Sprinkle on some sugar, and you won't even have to get the weetabix out of the cupboard in the morning :-)

Reply to
Steven Briggs

melamine? ok if your top is not the rounded edge type, but most are.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

How about using one of those toughened glass chopping boards? Use a router to cut a recess so it's flush, then stick it in with silicone sealant.

Reply to
Rob Morley

The message from Rob Morley contains these words:

Or a nice bit of slate.

Reply to
Guy King

I go to great lengths to sharpen my knives and then along comes my wife and uses them to cut things on a plate :-(

Why have a chopping board that will take the edge off a knife? Or am I missing something here?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I agree 100%. Yet they are sold as non-knife-blunting.

I don't believe it.

My knives are kept sharp, anything less and they're inefficient. I cut on wood, nothing else. Ever.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Before anyone asks, Spouse made me several chopping boards, all different sizes so that I can easily identify them and there's no risk of cross contamination. Not that I care about that..

Pastry/bread, cheese, vegetable, meat, bones. I have two separate carving boards, one's used for roasting the meat too, the other is used for small cuts.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

because cleanliness is more important.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

More important than what?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

It's not a major problem on wooden boards. Several studies apparently show that bacteria die rapidly on wooden boards - considerably faster than on plastic.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from snipped-for-privacy@care2.com contains these words:

Why?