BT, phones and more. Long rant.

Knock on the door a couple of days ago. Elderly neighbour asking if I'd report her phone out of action. Her next door neighbours all go out to work, and I'm on a week off.

What a performance, trying to do it via 100 and the automated system. Only afterwards discovered I could have done it via their website.

Anyway, thinking on, I realised an elderly lady who's a bit frail and doesn't have a mobile might feel vulnerable without a phone so I thought she might be happier with one of my DECT phones. Which proved to work ok across the road. And taking it to her she then said her phone might be faulty because of her dog.;-)

The main phone was on a shelf in the hall. The socket was hanging on the cable. Seems the dog plays with it.

By inspection, there had been originally an old standard hard wired type connection box which had been replaced by a 'new' plug in type. 'Fixed' by double sided tape on wallpaper. But the wiring had survived ok. There was no DC on the line in so definitely down to BT.

Next day, she'd obviously been rather impressed by a cordless phone, so when her daughter came across to take her out shopping she bought one at Argos. And had contacted BT who wanted 70 quid to fix their socket back on the wall. ;-) But her phone still didn't work.

So I got involved.

There were only two phone sockets both installed by BT. The line went to the front first floor bedroom with only one cable to that socket showing, and the same to the aforementioned one in the hall. Which was a master, with only two wires incoming, and none out. Didn't investigate the bedroom one. But unless I'm stupid all extensions get looped on from the master?

Offered to put an extra socket in for the new cordless base station and that was easy as she wanted it in the front room - so easy to wire via the cellar. And I decided to simply plug it in to the hall socket via an adaptor rather than hard wire it - ie make it a plug in extension, so no problems with BT if another fault arose.

So got it all done and plugged in the base station to the nearby 13 amp socket. Oh - 'that hasn't worked for years'.

Went down the cellar to switch off the ring only to discover no CU but several ancient metal clad switch fuses. And loads of crumbly rubber cable. Two meters too. Including a new digital one. With disgusting cables in and out. The riser had an obviously recent header fitted to it - probably at the same time as the new meter - with an external earth terminal. But not connected to the house circuits. One bare 3/029 earth wire went to the water main - after the stop c*ck.

I didn't investigate the faulty socket after seeing all this lot. The wiring to me is lethal. Why didn't the LEB or whatever condemn the lot when they installed the new meter and other works?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 23:49:48 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" scrawled:

Because they couldn't care less as long as something that consumes electricity is connected to their meter and someone is a resident of the property to send them the cheques.

Reply to
Lurch

Think about it from the meter fixers' or RECs' perspective for a moment

- what options are available, particularly if she's an owner-occupier ?

  • He refuses to fit a meter and reconnect the supply, and pulls the main fuse for safety.

- cust dies of hypothermia / starves to death / falls down the stairs in the dark / has a heart attack brought on by the stress of not knowing what to do / scared

  • He leaves it on supply

- he may find himself at the sticky end of a HSE investigation because the cust has been toasted in an electrical fire / electrocuted.

  • He fits the new meter, but leaves it switched off at the isolator

- cust switches her own supply back on - so even if he leaves a snag note, it gets torched in the ensuing fire, then as above.

Where do the responsibilities of a supplier / meter fixer / jointer end, and those of the householder begin - particularly where a "vulnerable" OAP may be involved ?

Should he have left her off supply and contacted Social Services to say she was now at risk living in a cold dark house with no means of preparing a meal ? Is it really *his* call that determines whether she gets carted away to a grotty nursing home to die in unfamiliar surroundings ?

Sometimes leaving things "as is" - no matter unsavoury they might be - is the only practical / realistic option. You can make them aware of the problem, but not be in a position to do anything about it.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

That's one of the reasons alot of elec companies started fitting sitches after the meter. a case of everything after the switch has nowt to do with them. That way they could get rid of their testing department and save more cash. wll that's what Scottish Power did when i was serving my time with them.

-=Scozia=-

Reply to
-=Scozia=-

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 02:08:10 +0100, "-=Scozia=-" scrawled:

You sure? Nothing after the meter was\is anything to do with them anyway. I have never seen a meter fitter bother too much about what he's connecting to. I once watched one bloke connect a brand new electronic meter to a 10mm supply off a rusty service head and reconnect the rubber 6mm outgoing unearthed twin submain and that was that, job done.

Reply to
Lurch

Probably because they (most!) don't have a clue about electrics, all they are trained up to do it to fit the meter

Reply to
Dave Jones

Recommend she gets it rewired.Else Go to her funeral.

Is she one of these saving all her money for her kids and grandkids?

Reply to
mogga

grandkids?

Or scrapping through, living in her only asset, whilst not really being able to afford the bills and unable to afford to move......

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

That`s probably as "real world" an answer as you`re going to get.

Also, ask yourself if someone who comes to zero a card-operated pre- payment meter has any electrical knowledge at all.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Where did you serve your time ?

(curious, and happy to take it to email if you`d prefer)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

You are showing your (lack of) age. Electricity Supply Regulations Required certain standards (less than IEE) of the system. I remember a colleague trying not to connect a customer who's new installation was wired point to point (unprotected) diagonally across walls. He eventually had to connect it because it complied with ESRs. The Supply Company had to comply. Thatcherism removed the compliance with privatisation, hence the switch. If the installation complied with the switch open, then fairy nuff HSE was satisfied.

Reply to
<me9

So being such a good neighbour you offered to rewire the place for her, eh Dave?!

Do you know if the meter installer mentioned to the home owner that the wiring needed sorting asap, or did he just keep schtum and walk away?

I do agree with others that it's a difficult situation for the installer. We've all known old dears who would probably drop dead of an anxiety attack if a tradesman were to tell them their electric supply was a real danger to them etc etc, let alone the thought of leaving them with no supply.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I had Scottish Power install a new electric supply from scratch in a conversion I did last year (though in fact it was United Utilities who did the work). I specifically asked for a switch to be fitted because I was doing the house wiring myself and it would have made life easier, but they refused. So sounds like it's gone full circle.

David

Reply to
Lobster

============== It seems that different standards apply in different areas.

As part of a DIY consumer unit relocation I fitted a new isolating switch (100 amp) and asked nPower to fit new tails from the meter to this new switch. This was done without any query (by 'Metering Services' - West Midlands) and I then fitted the new consumer unit and transferred all connections from the old CU to the new one.

As this comes under 'Part P' I've made a 'Regularisation Application' to the Local Authority. They have notified me that they have appointed an electrician to inspect the work and I'm expecting him to contact me in the next few days. I don't expect the electrician to query the existence of the new isolating switch installed by me since it was not queried by nPower / Metering Services.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I would have to guess that you didn`t choose Scottish Power as the supplier then, otherwise Dataserve would have been the appointed meter operator.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Errr nope, just checked my old file; I applied to United Utils, and in the form I nominated SP as the company who would be supplying electricity. I paid UU, who did the installation, and started paying SP for electricity thereafter,

(This was in the old ManWeb area, ie south of the border, which maybe is the reason it's not as you'd expect? Dunno.)

David

Reply to
Lobster

You're joking. ;-) It's a typical old biddy's place, clean as a whistle and well decorated but stuffed full of furniture and fitted carpets, etc. More work than I'd take on these days.

I did investigate the socket. It was wired in 2.5mm cable. But at the 30 amp switch fuse in the cellar, one cable was 2.5mm, one 7/0.29 rubber. ;-)

I replaced the socket which simply had a failed switch, put in an earth block and bonded all the services to the nice new terminal provided by the LEB. So at least there will be a proper earth on at least some of it.

I'm probably going to offer to put in a spit CU, and have at least some things protected by an RCD, if not everything.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you knew some of the drivers around this part of the country you would know why!

I'm sure 25 years ago there were more drivers that had never needed to take a driving test than those that had taken a test living around here... :~(

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

snip

MaNWeb on the Scottish border? I would have thought it would have been NorWeb. :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Are they still chasing Dave Lister for that £Bn180 for leaving the bathroom light on ?

Reply to
Paul Herber