Bright LED light?

Anyone found a decent brightness LED light? I just bought a couple that said 90W equivalent, but they compare better to a 60W bulb, but at least they look well made, some are flimsy plastic and fall apart when you screw them in. It's these:

Gefreiter Krueger

I'd be a bit suspicious of these from the specs it says wattage 90W.

it doesn't say equal to a 90W bulb. Wattage would, imply that it's using 90W have you measure the bulbs actual wattage ? via voltage X current.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Oh dear, look at the tab!

Gefreiter Krueger

Just noticed the lumens on the advert. They are that of a 60W bulb, I think I'll give him an email....

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

I assume you're looking at the top in the "item specifics" table, I wasn't. Further down it says "Replacement Halogen 90 Watt", but just underneath it says "Lumen 650-900lm" which is that of a 60W incandescent.

Nobody seems to know what Ebay means by "wattage" - half the sellers put in the power consumption and half put in the equivalent. It'd be better if they all put in the equivalent, as some LED lights are more efficient than others. It's the output that matters when choosing one, especially as most LED lights are dimmer than a 40W bulb!

I think I'll buy one of those corn on the cob shaped ones just to see what it's like. Looking at the specs they appear to be no more efficient than a compact fluorescent, but who knows? At least they'd give a more even light than the one above.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

10W tend to be about 75W filament equivalent.

The brightest well made ones I have seen to date at 1080lm

Costs the same as you paid for two. I have been caught out a couple of times by nominal LED 60W lamps being much brighter than the CFLs they were bought replace. Not sure if this is because CFLs dim with age.

ISTR There is a brighter one available in E27 fitting.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I have a couple from Toolstation, part no 14618 (also available as an ES version), which have proved very bright (12W / 1050 lumens), approaching

100W equivalent as I perceive them. Not cheap, although the stated life expectancy is impressive (35,000hrs) so they might even be reasonable value. A vast improvement on CFLs, in my opinion, so that has to be worth something.

I'm a little puzzled at why the light output isn't even broadly proportional to the wattage for LEDs though: I wanted a '60W' equivalent for a smaller room and thought a 9W version would do it, but the stated light output (450 lumens IIRC) was less than half the output of the 12W.

Reply to
GMM

There are so many different LEDs that they use, some seem more efficient than others. The best efficiency seems to be CREE LEDs. But I've gone off those, they are very hot and don't last.

This is a graph of lumens versus incandescent equivalent:

100W is 1435 lumens.
Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

But which incandescent? Different types of incandescent lamps vary dramatically in light output per watt. That's why it's so silly using watts as a comparison.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Incandescents different? That was the one thing good about them, everyone knew what a 100W bulb was like. I've never seen any difference whatsoever.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

I was in Ikea the other day and overheard some beardy weirdy looking for a particular wattage LED bulb (and of a power way over anything they had.) It seemed to be based on trying to find something X times brighter than one he already had and involved some confused number mangling involving both power *and* lumens to arrive at something like 16W.

What was wrong with just reading the rated lumen output of the packets, I know not.

Reply to
Scott M

Long Life ones weren't as bright as the regular ones. And aren't halogen one incadescent, too?

Reply to
charles

Firstly, almost all incandescents were long life (coiled coil), that's what the comparison should be with.

Secondly, halogen, single coil, and coiled coil were all identical enough to be indistinguishable in brightness.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

The point is that Ikea go out of their way to put the lumens all over their bulb packaging.

Reply to
Scott M

Not so. The normal life of a GLS type is 1000 hours. Under-run the filament and they will last much longer. Similarly, up the voltage and the light output increases by more than the extra current it uses, but the life goes down.

With respect, bollocks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I doubt lumens takes into account where the light shines. A standard bulb will shine in all directions, most LED lamps are quite directional, which means most of the room is darker.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Nobody bought those. Coiled coil was around since I was a kid. And I'm 38.

100W isn't double the brightness of 50W. It's better, but other than that all 100W bulbs are identical.

I'll take what I've observed for 38 years over the crap you're spouting.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Light output of 100W halogen lamps is a lot more than that of a conventional 100W filament lamp. Halogen lamps operate at much higher filament temperatures.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

Longlife bulbs have additional filiment supports.

Reply to
harryagain

Not enough to be noticeable. The only advantage of a halogen lamp is it can be made smaller.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger