Bridge between Scotland and Ireland

There appears to be something in the English psyche that means pointing to a working simple effective solution in a other country is a sure fire way of ensuring it is never considered for use in England.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

But he did get elected PM with a big majority.

This "plan" to build a bridge has a lot more to do with politics than it does engineering.

Reply to
Pancho

A working simple effective solution to a problem that does not need to exist.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Well there is that too.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I don't think he did. He got elected by default, 'shone in poor company' and for loads of other reason that it was him.

Again, I'm not sure he's ever had a plan, other than becoming PM of course, he's just a puppet and a clown.

I wouldn't trust him on anything.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

Was that their I or EQ scores (I'm going for 'both').? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Odd, given the Tories were routed in Scotland? Now a bridge between the N of England and Ulster might have bought some votes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well given that it's never going to happen, it's pretty irrelevant where it goes.

It's real purpose is to give the MSM something to print/talk about and fill the ether with, therefore removing the oxygen of publicity that Brexit naysayers might be able to use.

Same as the puff piece a couple of days ago announcing a the sale of

10,000 cabbages to Malaysia as proof Britain is booming. I believe the official tweet was deleted PDQ when the carbon footprint per cabbage got mentioned.
Reply to
Jethro_uk

WE all know it's just another dead cat.

Reply to
Bob Eager

with the Isle of Man as a mid point?

Reply to
charles

Yebbut the Protestants in Ulster are mostly of Scottish descent, as a result of the 'clearances' of the highlands in the 17- and 1800's. They have Orange Order marches in Glasgow as well as in Ulster. I would have though a link between Ulster and Scotland would be very popular.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

The Earl of Berkeley, the one "dissenter" in the recent HS2 review has plenty of rail experience. IIRC one of his arguments is that going for a bit more speed has a disproportionate effect on costs and risk. I don't suppose half the supporters have heard of APT.

Reply to
newshound

Depends on whether you support Celtic or Rangers. ;-)

Would be fairly simple to find out how many make the crossing per year or whatever to work out how popular it would be?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well it's all physics ... twice the speed - four times the energy ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

On top of that a letter in the Times today claims that the Irish Railway gauge is not the same as the rest of the UK

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Has anyone said it's going to be a rail bridge?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Paddy had been working on the railways in England. The reputation of Paddy and his gang was impressive, and they were invited to work in Russia where they wanted a railway laid.

As they started, someone had to put the first track down but no-one knew how far apart they should be. Paddy jumped up and laid his spade on the ground ? it was exactly the right length to span the two rails. He knew this from his work in England.

That is why, the Russian railway was laid with a one spade gap just like England.

Unfortunately, Paddy had forgotten that he had replaced his old, worn spade by a nice new one. It was 85 mm longer.

So that, dear readers, is why the Russian railway has a 1520 mm gauge whereas most of the world uses 1435 mm ?standard? gauge.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Nope, just that there is unlikely to be anything of any interest to Germany in Scotland next time.

It was only the English actually stupid enough to invade it.

Reply to
jon lopgel

If it was easier and cheaper, a whole lot more might though.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

It is probably a geeky thing only Brunel fans know. :-)

I've never seen any explanation of the extra 1/4 inch.

Reply to
nightjar