Bricks question!

How many to a pallet and roughly how much delivered?

If it's a daft question, blame Raden, he set me up for DIY brickying!

Cheers

Reply to
EricP

Doesn't the number per pallet depend on the size of the bricke?

(assuming a standard pallet)

I'll blame himforanything.

Spouse got some bricks from the recycling centre (aka tip) the other day and there are hardly two which match - and they were mortared together!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Now you are confusing me! They are red, sort of squarish, and you build houses with them.

I just got rid of tons of the old ones. I kept picking them up and saying it looked ok, just to have it taken away and chucked in the skip, by a muttering helper. I had spent hours cleaning them with a brick hammer. :(((

Reply to
EricP

So you see, Eric, you don't need a pallet, just find a skip and a muttering helper.

By the way, we needed old ones because new ones have huge frogs or they're full of holes. We wanted solid Yorkshire bricks.

Mary

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Now if only it had been lime mortar the bricks could have been cleaned easily.

Reply to
biff

============== Wickes quote 452 bricks per pallet, so that's probably a standard. £154.58 - facing bricks, £128.82 - engineering bricks, £120.23 - common bricks - all with free deivery subject to conditions.

A builders' merchants will probably be slightly cheaper and they will deliver in quantities less than a pallet.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

CHeers :))

Reply to
EricP

see the variety of prices and pallet sizes

see the sort of choices your helper has to consider

you really want some old fashioned bricks in proper sizes.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

Furness bricks are lovely but isn't it better to have bricks made locally, which reflect the character of your own area?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Mary Fisher writes

Surely it depends on where they are going. A nice local handmade brick may look very out of place in say a garden feature or wall if the house is built with a modern brick from who knows where?

Reply to
chris French

That too.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

How local is local? Lots of houses around here have Accrington Stock bricks (or similar), which are no longer made, and woould not have been much closer anyway. St. Anne's might be closer, but I've doubt they make smooth reds there any more. I have no idea where EricP lives.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

From the nearest brickworks which uses local clay.

And I've no idea where you live :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Lancashire, the same as Furness. How far are you prepared to let them deliver (i.e. where are the other brickworks using local clay) ?

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

I'm not challenging, it's my opinion that local materials are more suitable for building than others. In Leeds I wouldn't use flint, for example, in Norfolk I wouldn't use millstone grit. Or Furness bricks, come to that :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No I don't. How do you suggest I, or anyone else, does the research?

But why do you suggest that Furness Bricks are not made locally?

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

LOL! I didn't know you lived in Lancashire until you said so :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Is it better still to forget bricks, and use stone in random size & shape picked from local fields ?

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Not when you live near the Mersey. Or the lower Ribble/Wyre/Lune.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

:-) It could be argued that it's more environmentally friendly and it was done before bricks were made or affordable. Takes an awful lot more work though, needs more skill and the local planning folk might object with their passion for uniformity. There are advantages, I'd prefer it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher