Brake fluid in power steering?

My 2002 Renault Scenic has on the power steering cap "use DOT 4 brake fluid" so I did, then realised it was not the brake reservoir! Should I be concerned? It was just a small topup. Does it have the wrong cap?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Have a look in manual that came with the car.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

From 17 years ago and 5 previous owners?! Yeah like I know where that is.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You could join these folks, and ask:

Davey

Not much point as he is making the stuff up. He makes most of it up.

Reply to
dennis

You are right when you see the source. Old formally known as JW Sword changes his name frequently.

Reply to
Frank

Download it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Well there's one here:

I can't find anything about power steering fluid in it. And I very much doubt they'd mention if you can use brake fluid.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Brake fluid will probably piss out. Works fine just doesn't stay there.

When the level drops a bit, add decent PSF.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

It can escape but power steering fluid won't?

I have some, trouble is I put it in the wrong container, since the power steering one had "use brake fluid" on the cap.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I think it is how it affects the seals.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Surely if it breaks the seal, then the other fluid will piss out too, and anything else I put in afterwards.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Presumably you have to push it off a cliff first though?

Reply to
blt_1qQn

Autos have always had torque converters. Its only since dual clutch systems became common in the last 15 years that they've moved away from them.

A bigger tank requires more space and there's the issue of crash resistance. Most cars can do 400 miles on a tank which means even at a steady 70mph you'll only be filling up once every 5-6 hours or so. Is that so onorous?

LPG = mobile bomb. Most of the conversions leak gas. Utterly dangerous technology, god knows why they were allowed on the road.

Most electric cars can do over 200 miles on a charge even today.

Where do you drive, the sahara desert?

Reply to
blt_8dlu4jcv6w

As long as your definition of 'always' is 70 years. Fluid couplings had been used earlier but afaik the Dynaflow was the first to use a torque converter. In that era there were some real Frankensteins. I had a '49 Chrysler that has both a fluid coupling and a clutch in front of a two speed transmission with overdrive for four speeds forward.

Most of them sucked. Chevrolet's version of the Dynaflow, Powerglide, was called Powerslide by those who appreciated the snappy performance of a two speed tranny and a torque converter.

Chrysler was a late bloomer but the Torqueflite three speed from the '60s was the first AT that showed promise.

Reply to
rbowman

No, the old ones used to just jump from one gear to the next. My Golf (1998) would not change gear at all up to 40mph if you were accelerating gently. The revs would stay at precisely 2000 as the convertor adjusted gradually. Old cars (and my neighbour's 2004 Rover) can't do that, they change gear like a learner driver - last time I drove it, I was driving with very slight acceleration in town up to 30 or 40mph, and every so often it would change gear and jolt me and the passenger. When I told her it was shit, she said she didn't realise other autos were better as she'd always had a Rover.

Actually most cars do about 250 unless you're one of those high mile club folk and drive like Miss Daisy.

Pansy.

Utter bullshit. There are very few electric cars invented yet. Most are in the low 100s.

I was referring to what rbowman had said, that there are places in the USA without many filling stations.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No, I just use the pedal everyone seems to have forgotten about, it's called an accelerator. Nowadays everyone sits waiting at junctions for a gap the size of a bus so they can pull out slowly.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

A torque converter is a fluid coupling.

Reply to
blt_VtI

Umm yes, "jumping from one gear to the next" is generally how old style auto boxes worked. They generally don't go straight from 1st to 5th.

Bollocks. Just because some old nail is jerky doesn't mean it doesn't have a torque converter you doughnut.

The heaps of crap you drive might only manage 250, probably because you nail the throttle until you hit its top speed of 85mph, but most modern cars will get 400 out of the tank at motorway speeds.

I'm sorry, have you just arrived in a Tardis from 2009?

Reply to
blt_0r7_7zfGz

With a torque convertor, there is no jumping. It's like a manual gearbox with a lot of clutch slippage.

They've had it from new and it's always been that way.

Define "motorway speed". I do 100.

Have a look around you, how many cars are electric (and don't include hybrids). Here I'd say it was 1 in 300 at the most. They cost more to buy, you have a huge £5000 cost when the battery needs replacing every 5 years, there are f*ck all places to charge them, and it takes forever to fill them up. They just aren't yet a viable means of transport.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey