Bottle walls and windows. Where's the red?

op for coloured glass items because we fancied a bit of colour in this tra nslucent situation.

ms we found turned out to be painted or at least have a easily removable co ating of red over plain glass.

inely red glass bottles and other glass items?

it a kind of semi-precious material. Ruby red glass is said to be made wit h the use of copper which would indicate a more economical ingredient and c onsequently more widespread availability.

Here are pics of the compromised finished window with most of the red effec ts cleaned away.

Mike Halmarack

Required sign-in to google, then 404 error.

Reply to
Andy Burns

op for coloured glass items because we fancied a bit of colour in this tra nslucent situation.

ms we found turned out to be painted or at least have a easily removable co ating of red over plain glass.

inely red glass bottles and other glass items?

it a kind of semi-precious material. Ruby red glass is said to be made wit h the use of copper which would indicate a more economical ingredient and c onsequently more widespread availability.

Thought that was rather too easy as it only took a hour to sort out. :-)

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

shop for coloured glass items because we fancied a bit of colour in this t ranslucent situation.

tems we found turned out to be painted or at least have a easily removable coating of red over plain glass.

nuinely red glass bottles and other glass items?

ke it a kind of semi-precious material. Ruby red glass is said to be made w ith the use of copper which would indicate a more economical ingredient and consequently more widespread availability.

How about this:

eetroot_zps4wqswmbc.jpg

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

y shop for coloured glass items because we fancied a bit of colour in this translucent situation.

items we found turned out to be painted or at least have a easily removabl e coating of red over plain glass.

genuinely red glass bottles and other glass items?

make it a kind of semi-precious material. Ruby red glass is said to be made with the use of copper which would indicate a more economical ingredient a nd consequently more widespread availability.

And this one:

isxo803.jpg

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Not only that though, what kind of lid could they have that would allow the light to pass through?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I see, so why not just swill a bit of red paint around in a clear bottle?

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Yeah that works, but I don't think beetroot juice will work on glass :-)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Just bought some Rustoleum spray glass paint which had zero effect when sprayed into a open ended vessel. it just pooled at the lowest point. Ordered some brushable alternative but even if it's successful it won't be the same as genuinely red glass.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

ty shop for coloured glass items because we fancied a bit of colour in thi s translucent situation.

d items we found turned out to be painted or at least have a easily removab le coating of red over plain glass.

genuinely red glass bottles and other glass items?

make it a kind of semi-precious material. Ruby red glass is said to be mad e with the use of copper which would indicate a more economical ingredient and consequently more widespread availability.

zpswisxo803.jpg

These items started off as red when they were built in. After cleaning they became a lot less red. I'm in the process of buying various paints to make the ex-red, red once again. But it would've been so much easier and more e ffective if the red glass had been red and stayed red in the first place.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

So true but it seems quite pervasive throughout the digestive and excretory system when eaten in quantity.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Bit late to do anything now. Any paint you apply to the outside will inevitably deteriorate over time, although some may last longer than others. Google for clear acrylic glass paint. OTOH if you do consider cutting one or two of the now-colourless bottles out, pour some of the paint into the bottle, swill it around, pour out the excess and let it drain and dry. Then cement it back into the wall. But I suspect the 'join' will always show.

Reply to
Chris Hogg