Bosch AK42 Chainsaw leaking oil when stored.

As the title says, my AK42 looses oil and makes a mess.

There was a small foam strip that came away from where I assume the lubricator outlet is, but it did not seem to serve any purpose.

Has anyone stripped the oil mpump on one of these?

Regards

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

They nearly all leak as they get older. You may well find if you store it a certain way up, the oil doesn't leak out. I try to run mine out of oil before I store it

Reply to
harry

Most saws do, often the pump is a rotary plunger working on an axial cam, the oil can leak past the sides of the plunger, from a breather and simply from residual oil in the outlet. Store it on a newspaper.

If you use OSR as the lubricant and don't intend using it for a while empty the tank and run a small amount of mineral oil through.

AJH

Reply to
news

Mine leaked from day one. Taking into account the sophisticated motor and mechanical adjustments of these machines it seems as if the oil delivery was not thought properly (was it so difficult to provide a way to regulate the oil flow?) It leaks ALL oil left in the deposit. (so I need to refill everytime I use it again)

Reply to
Patxitxi

total loss oiling system will lose oil over time when stored ... not much you can do about it except turn it upside down and drain the oil ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Patxitxi explained :

I dare say it has lost many gallons of oil, since this was originally posted five years ago.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

mine does

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart

There's a claim here, the oil is propelled by an oil pump that runs off the throttle.

The chainsaw sump is only meant for chainsaw oil, not motor oil, not synthetic (low viscosity) motor oil.

Chainsaw oils (red tinted) come in "summer" and "winter", the winter being thinner for low temperature outside work. Like felling trees after an ice storm. The summer oil is thicker, so some of it will stay on the bar and chain.

And that's different than the mechanism that keeps a gasoline engine piston lubricated. That's just the chain oiler mechanism. The chain oiler window should have the "red tint" showing.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

store it on whichever side leaks less.

Reply to
F Murtz

Well it's certainly wrong for one of my (three) chainsaws, mine had a little cam driven pump. Admittedly mine are electric so running off the throttle isn't very likely! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

Mine has been sitting on a sheet of plastic for quite a while, and no signs of leakage, and the reservoir is usually at least half full.

Maybe some part of the housing isn't tight.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Yes? Even if stored 24 hours? 😂