Boiler spares (happy customer)

These people carry a fair range of boiler spares and have very good prices on Honeywell gas valves. Next day delivery. No connection, just a happy customer.

Newshound

Thanks, recommendations always good. But......

"This site is for Corgi members only !! We reserve the right to charge 25% extra for non-members"

Are you, and did they....?

Reply to
Steve Walker

No, and they did (but only on the part, not the postage), and they were still less than half the price of the next best price I found. And they are quite up front about it, the order page warns you that there is a surcharge if the Corgi Number field is left empty and gives you the option to abort. There's no moralising or refusing to supply gas parts. I do actually have a friend who is a Corgi plumber and I guess for a larger order I might see if I could do it through him. But it wasn't worth the hassle and delay for a tenner or so.

Reply to
Newshound

In message , Newshound writes

CORGI numbers are often appended to Yellow Pages adverts. Of course lifting and using one probably breaks some law or other:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

What is the 25% premium for, where does that extra cash go ?

I definitely, definitely would not do business with a crowd using the regs as an excuse to stiff people. I see no reason why a supplier would have to charge more to deal with a non-registered person.

How do they validate the CORGI number I wonder ..

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

A corgi member is more likely to do repeat business, so gets a discount?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Indeed so Reg 3(7) ...no person shall pretend to be a member of that class of persons...

However, I'm fairly sure, pretending to be registered to obtain parts would be viewed less harshly than to obtain work. If anything came of it that is.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

What even when their prices are lower even with the lack of additional discount?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Is this illegal to discriminate against a section of society? It is like saying if you are black you pay 25% more.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

No, it's saying "You can't have a trade price".

I realise it upsets Drivel, since even CORGI wouldn't have him.

Reply to
Bob Eager

A few business I deal with tend to charge more to "casual" as opposed to "trade" sales because they figure that "casual" sales take more time and effort :

Trade customer: "I'll have a dingle-dangle for a snippet 1220-X with the green pigknob please" Retailer: "Yes sir. Ten pounds" (transaction takes

Reply to
jethro_uk

Which is driscimination.

I wouldn't have Corgi. Cowboys the lot of them.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

No it isn't specifically. There is supposed to be legislation originating from EU Directives on the subject in regard to certain kinds of commercial competition, discounting and so on, but it's not applicable for the kind of transaction here, as far as I am aware.

However.... 0/10 for market positioning.

Rather than saying

"This site is for CORGI members only!!. We reserve the right to charge 25% extra for non-members"

they could have said

"Discounts for CORGI members"

That way Joe Public wouldn't have felt affronted (because it's common practice in trade outlets to give trade discounts) and CORGI people would still be happy.

Several trade outlets have moved to an account and loyalty card arrangement (e.g. Travis Perkins) whereby the customer is supposed to get more consistent discount on what he buys, presumably based on volume of business.

Quite a number of different trade outlets claim that their trade customers moan because the places are selling to retail customers at the same discount levels and prices that they can get. OTOH, said trade places want to address as much of the market as they can, and that is price competitive.

One simple solution is for retail customers to go to trade places at times when trade people typically are not there - often mid morning or mid afternoon are good times. In those circumstances, it is more likely that a retail customer will get a better price - but of course needs to ask.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Don't disagree, but the market is the market and I went for the lowest price I could find after a certain amount of trawling around. The web site is adequate and the service was spot on. I expect they do most of their business with the trade and perhaps some of the trade appreciate that strategy.

Reply to
Newshound

Discrimination per se is not illegal. I'ts perfectly legal to discriminate on many grounds, eg:

Membership: "You're not a member of our organisation, Go away." Stupidity: " You are too thick, you can't come to our University" Ugliness: "You are thick and ugly too go out with me"

I don't know if one or more of the above apply in your case. But it's perfectly legal.

There are only a few limited specifed grounds on which it is illegal to discriminate. For example, Race or Gender.

IANAL, etc, etc ( but am married to one! )

Reply to
Ron Lowe