Boiler recommendation.

Hi. I am using a 25 yo Gloworm Spacesaver. It has never let me down and in conjunction with a 2 bar pump on the shower I have no complaints operationally. The gas bills however could be better and are only going to get worse as I see it. It could be time for an upgrade but I'd hate to get an unreliable new boiler that was always breaking down, wouldn't last 10 years and end up with a dribble for a shower. Any thoughts from the wize and knowledgable out there. Thanks.

Reply to
Paul Bulley

Is there any other reason for wanting to change now? Because although a more modern boiler will use less gas, it is debateable as to whether it is worth ripping out a functioning boiler at huge expense to save a little bit on the gas bill.

If you go with the usual recommendations regarding brands (google on this group) there is no reason why a new boiler should be less reliable. Note however that modern condensing boilers are less tolerant of not being serviced or correctly maintained.

There is no reason for your hot water performance to change if all you do is replace the boiler and keep the rest of the current system the same (i.e. install a "heating" or "system boiler" and not a combi).

To comply with building regulations however you may also need to replace your hot water cylinder with a fast recovery type, and upgrade other controls on the system. Howver both these actions should improve the user experiance and also lower the bills.

Reply to
John Rumm

He says his boiler is 25 years old, which probably means it has a 55% efficiency. A new condensing boiler is going to be around 90% which should be quite a large saving on the gas bill.

I had a 28 year old boiler replaced in April and my gas bills have approximately halved so far.

Is that really true? I thought the main thing is correct installation and getting the condensate pipe fitted properly?

Reply to
RedOnRed

He may well get a good improvement in bills, but it is still a close call as to whether it is worth ditching a working system before its end of life (much depends on how much you have to pay to have it installed - if you DIY then it is obviously a much simpler sum ;-) Obviously when it needs replacing (or if there are other reasons to replace) then it is worth going for the biggest improvement in efficiency you can.

The makers seem to claim so... I presume if you allow debris and soot to accumulate in it, then you provide a trap that will keep the acidic concentrate in contact with the metalwork for longer - perhaps accelerating corrosion.

Reply to
John Rumm

One heating engineer helped me decide on a new boiler by saying would I still own and drive a 28 year old car, which would be equally as inefficient, uncosteffective, polluting and unreliable.

And although it would probably be technically easy to, no, I don't still drive a Morris Marina, Chrysler Alpine, Hillman Imp or Vauxhall Viva etc, etc.

Reply to
RedOnRed

Even Drivel doesn't claim this. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I would love to drive a 1977 3l Granada, which IMO was far superior to the pile of modern crap which I am obliged to settle for today!

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

What do you prefer about it? Reliability? Comfort? Handling? Fuel economy? Or just the inexplicable charm?

Reply to
RedOnRed

Bosch Worcester HE40. Installed last November. No problems so far.

Reply to
Rob

Thanks for your replies.

Reply to