Boiler not striking up (again)!

My inherently crap Potterton Suprima 30 is on the blink again!

This time, its not sparking.

The timer comes on, the pumps start up and the little green light on the boiler starts blinking, but there's no sparking and the gas valve isn't opening (I'm assuming the gas wont turn on until it starts sparking). Then a I get a SOLID green light and the red starts flashing.

I'm unfamiliar with this light configuration, lockout is a flashing red with no green, but this is a solid green with a flashing red.

Couple of occasions, whilst the boiler has been left on in this state, it will suddenly strike up after a time on its own (it starts sparking and the gas comes on and lights).

So I'm assuming its something to do with the ignition circuit? (and yes before you ask, the thermostats are asking for heat).

I had a new PCB and Gas Valve a couple of years back, so I'm hoping its neither of those. I did put a new lead on the ignition a couple of years back, so I don't think its that.

Anyone give me a heads up on what I should check first?

TIA

Reply to
Simon (Dark Angel)

Oh yeah, and the fan in the flue isn't coming on either.

Usually, the fan starts up, then you get sparking, then the gas valve opens.

None of the above is happening (though it does sometimes start up on its own after a while)/

Fan problem you think?

Anyway to check for this?

Reply to
Simon (Dark Angel)

In message , "Simon (Dark Angel)" writes

Until the fan operates the air pressure switch, you won't get a spark or gas valve opening

look in your manual to see what the lights mean (p22 IIRC)

Do you have switched live to the pcb (WRT neutral, of course)

Is the stat presenting a short circuit?

Is the temp sensor OK?

DO you have 230 volts to the fan?

Reply to
geoff

Fan problem. Or possibly fan control... It won't turn on the pilot until it has air pressure.

Have a chat with CET Ltd for spares. He may appear later - think yourself lucky the weather is warm so you won't freeze.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Have you got an installation manual for your boiler. If so, there's a fault-finding chart at page 30 something. Sounds like your fan isn't working. If the pressure switch doesn't detect any pressure from the fan, it doesn't even try to light the gas.

If you haven't got a manual, go to

and navigate to your boiler. There you'll find a manual in html - rather than pdf - format, but better that than nothing!

Reply to
Roger Mills

"Blocking - Mains Frequency incorrect or Air Switch"

So, something to do with the air switch then?

I assume first thing to do is check to see if the fan has got power to it then, yes?

It's kinda late in the evening now, so will have to tackle this again tomorrow evening when i get back from work.

Reply to
Simon (Dark Angel)

Later ?

I've already given him a checklist to work on

Reply to
geoff

Fault finding chart?

That's for amateurs

vee don't neeed no steenkin' fault finding chart

Reply to
geoff

Most of us have never seen one and have to work from first principles!

Reply to
Skipweasel

You might not! But the OP *is* an amateur, and almost certainly doesn't have your detailed knowledge of the start-up sequence. There's nothing wrong with that!

Reply to
Roger Mills

He doesn't need it

I'm here as always

Reply to
geoff

Give a man a fish, and all that . . .

Reply to
Roger Mills

Right, I think I might have made a discovery here.

When I lowered the PCB housing to take a look at the wiring, the boiler suddenly clicked on and fired up OK.

When I went to screw it back on to the boiler, it stopped again.

So I started looking at all the plugs on the PCB, when I wiggled the yellow wires, which I believe go to the temperature sensor, it suddenly sprang to life.

So I'm thinking loose connection on the temp sensor at the PCB end?

Reply to
Simon (Dark Angel)

Crossed posts :) Think of it as a free advert.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

you knowfuck all stick to mending fans you has make 4 replys . Still you has not told the bloke waht is wrong with his boiller You are a fucken troll you know f*ck all.Go and mend fans

Reply to
chas

It seems Geoff has a fan club.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In message , "Simon (Dark Angel)" writes

You will not find anything about this in the flow chart ...

So, is it the pcb connector or the loom wire then?

It wasn't a pcb from me, was it, prolly the pcb con nector

Reply to
geoff

Bloody hell, is it half term again ?

Reply to
geoff

And, wouldn't have found the fault in the fault finding chart

Nowhere does it say "Is your pcb falling apart?"

Reply to
geoff

Considering how many illiterate ill-mannered morons there out there, it's surprising how few we get in here.

Reply to
Skipweasel