Boiler flue - slightly upwards

Or rather, people need to be less lazy in their use of language

... like people who talk about "dry joints" when they mean cracked joints

Reply to
geoff

I agree with you, this is the problem with a 'living language' like English, meanings change with time. Another good example of this is Quantum, in it's original scientific meaning it is the smallest possible step change in energy levels, however in everyday use it means a huge step change.

Reply to
Chewbacca

A quantum of solar? :-)

Reply to
Rod

That will happen. The flue gas will be emitted at about 5C hotter than the return water temperature, which is going to be about 55C if the boiler is setup properly. It will be 100% humidity. When it mixes with the outdoor air at, say, 10C, it will cool and not be able to hold as much moisture, so a little more will condense out. Exactly the same thing happens when you breath out in cold air and you see a mist.

What temperature is your boiler set to? Maybe you are running it too hot to be running in condensing mode. If you have a thermometer on the return temperature, what is it?

You can always extract more. You could put a unit on the flue and condensate drain which captures and freezes the water, and thus also extract the latent heat from that. It's really a question of where you sensibly stop. The heat output from freezing the condensate would be difficult to use effectively.

Running the boiler at the lowest temperature you can get away with is realistically the best you can do. I run mine at 45C flow 40C return, but I have radiators suitably sized to heat the house with the water at that temperature.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On a cold damp day they could block the view from a window.

Not old boilers. Modern condensing types.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dry joints are probably less addictive.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

I wouldn't know, I've never tried snorting or injecting them

Reply to
geoff

That one had never occurred to me before actually - when/how did that happen!?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Big snip

Que comments about legonella (spelling??) growing in the hot tank at temps that low.......

Reply to
Chewbacca

That's the central heating temperature, not hot water.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Lobster saying something like:

Istr some bloody politician using it years ago. The latest Bond movie doesn't help, but whether it's used as tiny or huge, who knows?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Summat about old steam engines call kettles more often than not;))....

tho IIRC they call them "engines a vapour" or similar en France;)..

Reply to
tony sayer

That's probably why the word "steam" is used for "what we all call steam" isn't it: originally (and indeed, still) a steam engine is an engine which is powered by steam, but in common parlance became one which produces copious quantities of "steam".

FWIW, this from the Oxford English Dictionary

steam, n. 6. a. The vapour into which water is converted when heated. In popular language, applied to the visible vapour which floats in the air in the form of a white cloud or mist, and which consists of minute globules or vesicles of liquid water suspended in a mixture of gaseous water and air. (Also sometimes applied to the vapour arising from other liquids when heated.) In modern scientific and technical language, applied only to water in the form of an invisible gas. The invisible ?steam?, in the modern scientific sense, is, when its temperature is lowered, converted into the white vapour called ?steam? in popular language, and this under continued cooling, becomes ?water? in the liquid form.

So it would appear that the lexiconographers have already taken heed of your comment!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Sinclair used it back in the early '80s for the QL[1]... used to amuse me then - the smallest possible advance - anything less would be standing still ;-)

[1] Not a bad attempt at a low cost "sort of" 32 bit machine (used a 68K derivative processor that still had 32 bit registers, but an external 8 bit architecture). Shame they made the physical construction so crap.
Reply to
John Rumm

Thank you!

Also see:

The picture on the right ("Steam rising from the street grates.") seems to go down the same direction - but whether out of ignorance, carelessness or something else, who can tell? :-)

Reply to
Rod

If you were to Read The Friendly Manual (which came with the boiler[1]) you'll see it instructs the installer to position the flue so it slopes back to the boiler at an angle of about 3 degrees, so that condensation in the flue runs back into the boiler and is collected with the the condensate produced in the boiler itself and is discharged into the condensate waste instead of dripping out of the flue onto whatever lies below.

[1] if your installer hasn't left the boiler and flue installation manuals with you *then* get him back.
Reply to
John Stumbles

Less addictive than not addictive at all? Though I suppose it depends what you put in your joints ;-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

There is one on the market: I think Alpha make it. I presume it may only be used with their own boilers since a boiler's flue is an integral part of the installation and using a non-approved component would make the installation illegal. So if Alpha's unit only works with Alpha boilers one wonders why they don't just build it into their boilers rather than selling it as an expensive extra. I suspect the answer is in P. T. Barnum's famous dictum :-)

As for "worthwhile", as Andrew Gabriel points out in another post it's a question of diminishing returns: today's condensing boilers are a good compromise between efficiency and cost and complexity.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Joints flux you up

Reply to
geoff

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying something like:

Not with rosin-tinted specs.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon