bloody Ikea

In 2009 I installed a complete Ikea Faktum System kitchen....I now find I need new doors on most of the units.....went to Ikea tody and found all their base and wall units are now 800mm high instead of the old 700mm hight...BASTARDS!......does anybody know if any place can supplt new door fronts that will fit ?

Reply to
I hate Ikea

Ouch a kitchen that only lasts 8 years

I think I'd be looking for another supplier

tim

Reply to
tim...

These people advertise regularly round here but I have not used them and I don't know anyone who has used them.

I have no doubt that they "can" supply you with doors but I don't know at what cost.

Chris B

I presume they're a shape that can't readily be trimmed.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

replying to I hate Ikea, Iggy wrote: I presume they blew-out because of abuse and improper use...I've never seen the stuff destroy itself and have many examples of items 2 and 3-times as old that are perfectly solid. But, Chris B's got it right, there are plenty of Door and Drawer Front companies out there.

You can also drill-out the entire hinge attachment area to glue-in real wood for re-drilling. Or, you can spin or flip, patch and re-drill them to double their life. Once re-situated you can even glue the hinge cups and wings in. A step further would be to drill the sides of the cups and install nails with a nail-set.

Reply to
Iggy

In the end he either has the equipment to do what he needs or doesn't. So far he's yet to even bother telling us how the doors are constructed.

Reply to
tabbypurr

replying to I hate Ikea, Iggy wrote: Check with Ikea, your cabinets may still be under warranty. See the current Guarantee here

Iggy

replying to tabbypurr, Iggy wrote: They should just be particleboard slab.

Reply to
Iggy

Buy cheap/poor quality and you live to regret it. The kitchen we replaced must have been 20 years old but it was still in good condition, just 'dated'. Someone short on cash took it and reused it- I expect they will get another decade plus out of it. It was a Roseby - I assume the previous owners had fitted it. I swapped some of the units around when we bought the house then we changed it about 8 years ago. The replacement still looks new.

As for Jim's problem, there is a company that makes doors to order for those trying to do things on the cheap and use old units. They advertise in various national newspapers. I've not used them but I heard someone mention them on 80m. They will even 'copy' an existing door to replace a damaged one- that was the discussion on 80m.

Possibly one of these:

Brian Reay

Why is it doing it 'on the cheap' if all you want to do is change the look of the kitchen with new doors?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There are loads of firms out there that make replacement cabinet doors in a range of finishes and types.

Reply to
John Rumm

IME car body filler works a treat for reviving the hinge fixings in old doors/carcases.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I have managed to avoid IKEA completely. SWMBO and I did take a trip (~100 miles round trip) to the one at Lakeside, Thurrock in 1999. We parked up and decided to investigate Costco first, on the recommendation of a friend. Had luch there, joined up, and filled the car with shopping. Then it was time to go home.

Reply to
Bob Eager

ITYF it's not particularly "on the cheap"

Having doors made to fit comes in at a similar cost to buying a completely new carcass and doors. Especially as for most people the worktops are as worn out as the doors

You just save on the aggro of having your kitchen upside down for a week (just a day instead)

tkim

Reply to
tim...

I wasn't suggesting changing doors was cheap- he should have bought a kitchen which would last. Jim is a cheapskate and cuts corners- ask him about his laptops.

He wanted doors so I suggested a source.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Ikea is ok for some things, ideal for 'student furniture' and setting up your off spring with pots, pans, etc for Uni. but you really need to invest in a decent kitchen if you want it to last.

A CostCo Card is a good investment, we visit the Thurrock one several times a year and stock up on meat, fish and some other things.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Because it is probably cheaper than replacing the whole kitchen. Say 10 doors at the £90/door someone mentioned. Where can you get a complete kitchen for £900 ?

It also wasn't clear if Jim was replacing all his doors or just some damaged ones- there was mention of hinge repair etc. If you only need a few doors to replace damaged ones but match the others, using the custom door makers (even at the £90 /door some have mentioned) may well be attractive.

Reply to
Brian Reay

I'd hope it would be cheaper than buying a complete new kitchen. But I can't see the point in replacing the lot if it is just the doors that need replacing. Doing something 'on the cheap' suggests a bodge.

When I came to update my home made kitchen by fitting hew doors, the sizes had changed from Imperial to Metric. ;-) The doors and drawer fronts I got from one of the sheds - IIRC B&Q - are still good as new, though, after quite a few years.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Had an unfortunate experience some years ago. Assembled one of their units only to find some key bits missing. Just getting the missing bits - rather than dissembling the whole lot and returning for a refund proved difficult. And very time consuming.

I recently wanted chests of drawers to fit in an alcove. Best way I could find by Googling was IKEA modular units, which allowed a near perfect fit. But online viewing allowed me to get their warehouse bin location which made collecting them rather less painful. I would have had them delivered, but the charge for that excessive IMHO.

Assembly was straightforward, and I'm pleased with the result. Good value for the money too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If they were, trimming one down would be trivial. Thus I doubt that's what they are.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr