bike tyre stretching ????

After a puncture and a ruined tyre I tried to put back on an old 28 inch bike tyre that WAS on the bike years ago only to find its diameter was now far to big to fit the rim....is this normal ?

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

It's the bead that normally determines how well a tyre fits a rim and as they are normally kevlar or steel I find it had to see how it could have 'grown'?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

When the inner tube is inflated, doesn't it push the bead out into the correct location on the rim?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Did you not join the dots? Or perhaps it was caused by you tearing along the dotted line.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It may have been on that bike are you sure was it on the same (sized) wheel ? Given its possible to fit different size wheels on the same frame by way of replacements, etc.

Non folding bike tyres have a continuous wire mouded into the bead which snaps over the rim. While its conceivable that the joint in this wire may have failed that wouldn't explain why the rubber has stretched as well

michael adams

michael adams

Hmm, either the bead wire has broken (on both sides) or you have simply mis-remembered which bike or wheel the tyre came off. My money is on the latter.

I?ve kept many old bike tyres for years and in my experience, the bead

*never* changes in size. Have you had new wheels put on at any time in the past? What size did the ruined tyre claim to be in the sidewall? What was the figure printed on the sidewall of the ?stretched? tyre?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

But are the rims 28inch?

Reply to
Richard

Yes rubber can be like that. I have a knob on a radio here and the rubber outer is now so big I have to put tape underneath it to stop it falling off! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well they do, or at least used to when I could use a bike. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Beads on older tyres were not so sophisticated. It was often just a denser rubber. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Can't say it's something I've ever experienced over 50 years and many bikes (currently 10 solos between us, a cycle trailer and tandem).

Maybe I've never had a bike (or tyre) that might be likely to suffer such?

Presumably you could have a tyre come off the rim when is use then (after being on there with no issues for some time)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

That?s nearer 26? than 28?. As I said, it?s most unlikely that the tyre changed size. Extraordinary claims need extraordinary proof. Post links to photos of what is *actually* printed on the sidewalks of your ruined and ?stretched? tyre please. Tyres just Do Not Stretch in storage.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Nor me. It just doesn?t happen. The stored tyre must have been for a different wheel.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

come on tim+ where are you ......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

OK down in Hawck at the moment but will do that when I get home......

yes it was totally weird and unexpected ......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

This time could you manage something along the lines of a Pirelli calendar shot, it is about tyres after all?

Reply to
Richard

no

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Just because you had to dig the tyre out from under the cat litter, you don't have to be so negative.

Reply to
Richard

yes I do ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

English "28 inch" or German "28 inch"? There's half an inch difference in the diameter of those.

Reply to
Rob Morley