Beware Tesco Mobile Phones

Bought a fantastic Motorola phone from Tesco today. But it won't work with my old sim card. You have to go with guess who - TESCO. I want to keep my old number. According to the Motorala website their phones are incompatable with the Tesco service? Tesco's help-lines are totally helpless. Only time I will go to Tesco again is to throw this damn phone though the window (along with a few trolleys maybe)

Reply to
Denn013

Just get it reflashed you pillock

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I'm failing to see how this is different to most of the providers...

so port your number to tesco or get the phone unlocked.

My dad just managed to migrate his number onto tesco and found their helplines very useful and patient. Maybe there is an attitude thing here?

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Why should it?

Because they're the provider, perhaps? Tesco mobile?

I can imagine how the call went.

I'm sure they'll miss you enormously.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Phones are generally are SP locked to the provider. In this case Tesco mobile. Your choices here are to find a friendly market trader/mobile shop to reflash it. (cost between =A310-=A330) or use google "mobile phone unlocking" and get it sent away or try doing it yourself with software and a cable. Dependent totally on the handset you have bought though.

You should then be able to use both SIM's in your phone.

Reply to
Londoncityslicker

The phone is sold to work with Tesco mobile. You also more than likely bought it at a subsidised cost. I don't see why you're so peeved at Tesco. Try buying that phone sim free and see how much more it will cost you.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

"Denn013" wrote

My first mobile was a Sagem locked to Tesco's (second hand freeby). Took it to market trader - £10 unlocking fee. Now has O2 sim as that is the only reliable provider in our area.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

AFAIK Tesco is a rebrand of the 02 network.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Correct. Tesco is an MVNO on O2 infrastructure.

Reply to
Andy Hall

And now you might face 5 years in prison for doing so!

Andy Dingley

Mobile Telephones (Re-programming) Act 2002

the offence specifically refers to reprogramming of the IMEI (unique handset identifier number) - the reasons for that are fairly obvious in connection with mobile phone theft.

The Act being referred to in the BBC article is the Violent Crime Reduction Act, 2006.

Section 62 of this act refers back to the 2002 Act and amends that slightly th include third parties. Nonetheless, it is still reprogramming of the IMEI that is the offence.

Reprogramming to remove SIM locking does not change the IMEI, but simply removes the restriction of it only working with one provider.

Having said that, unlocking of a mobile may not be a criminal offence, but it is at best dishonest and may be in breach of a contract of purchase of the phone.

The reason that phones are SIM locked is to enforce a commercial arrangement whereby the supplier has subsidised the phone in the expectation of a level of revenue from the customer. If this is a monthly contract arrangement, he at least has the line rental. For PAYG, he is taking a commercial risk in terms of how much the phone will be used. However, he is not expecting that the customer will cheat on the agreeement by unlocking the phone and using it on another network operator's or virtual network operator's network.

Reply to
Andy Hall