Best Rated threads in UK Do-It-Yourself Forumshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Re: Stopping condensation on underside of asbestos outhouse roof...
+1 on adding polystyrene (sp) panels to he underside of the corrugated sheet though as t.o.p was concerned about the condensation rotting the joists/purlins perhaps insulation in the form of expanding...

Re: Why would a gas boiler make soot?
The analyzer is actually called a flue gas analyzer not and oxygen analyzer. A half decent one costs about $4500 CAD. Second of all there is no guarantee that the ?speeder jets? are blocked because...
1
1

diameter of holes for extractor fans?
Hello, My hob has a cooker hood above it but it has been installed in re-circulation mode. If I change the carbon filter it might absorb smells but it will not do anything about steam, so I would like...
13
13

Lidl cordless angle grinder
Been waiting for these to come up, and they were in today. Proper 125 mm job, not the sneaky smaller one that was in a week or two ago. £25 for the bare machine with a box. £18 for 2AH plus charger...
6
6

Plaster second coat the next day?
Today I'm using orange packets of thistle multifinish over plasterboards. Most videos show a skim coat a few hours after the first, but why not tomorrow? I'd have to smooth off any up bits with a...
5
5

Cable/Pipe detector
Any recomends/avoids? The reviews of models that have a good overall rating still have a significant number of bad ones. These don't obviously appear to be from dimwits suffering from "operator error"...
19
19

Plasterboard for behind electric fire
I am putting in a new (eBay) fireplace wooden surround and will need a panel of some sort to cover the mess that was originally there (wallpaper with bits missing, and a hole for a gas fire flue). Can...
4
4

One Strike Filler
I emailed Everbuild with the following question; "Hi I run a handyman service and have used One Strike filler for years - wonderful stuff! Usually I'm never there to see it dry, but I used it in my...
66
66

Wagobox - XLA versus XL
I've been trying to work out the difference between the Wagobox XL and XLA boxes without much success. I *think* the difference is that they are designed to take different connectors but I can't find...
3
3

Artex
Hi, This is really a continuation of the plasterbord ceiling question. I am about to redecorate a room and the artex ceiling is suffering from splitting along the perimeter of the plasterboard panels....
10
10

Vaillant VCW 242 - Can I preheat the incoming water
Hi all. I have done several adaptions to my boiler including supplementing the central heating with a hot pre feed so my boiler runs 100% on the external source via a plate heat exchanger. This has...
7
7

right of way at a mini roundabout
Er, priority to the right ?
83
83

Dyson shocking - minor electric shock by touching the LEDs
I have a Dyson V8 cordless vacuum cleaner. I have noticed I get a very minor electric shock by touching the LEDs when in use. How can this be?
20
20

Flourescent unit starter-less?
The 6 foot tube in our 30+ year kitchen fluorescent light has started to blink. The tube is about 10 years old, so due for replacement, although it wasn't showing the tell-tale darkened ends. I...
21
21

Old Crabtree light switches OK?
I have old Crabtree light switches , 250 volts, brown, bakelite? I'm rewiring with new cable but they have no earth. OK to leave the earth wire unconnected at the back? The screw which holds the...
2
2

Can a stud wall ever be load-bearing?
I doubt it, but I want to saw a big hole in one, so I need to ask. Our stairs go up the middle of the house, at 90 degrees to all the beams. There is a breeze block wall on one side, and a stud wall...
18
18

Lidl battery packs.
Some years ago, I bought the Lidl 18v combi drill, jigsaw and circular saw, all which use the same 18V 1.5 A/hr battery pack. And bought a couple of spare batteries from their mail order source....
5
5

100mA RCD + RCBO
The CU is a Wylex from the early '90s ('91 - 2 IIRC). All MCB, 30mA RCD on rings, cooker, shower etc. and 100mA on lighting circuits. As I'd need 30mA on the lights for the fitting in the bathroom I...
12
12

How to remove coach bolts
I'm trying to dismantle one of those outdoor swings - like a wooden sofa suspended on chains from a wooden framework with A shaped supports at either end. The bits of timber are attached with what I...
26
26

Stuck mdf bath panel
Use a multi tool to cut the skirting, remove it then you should be fine.
12
12