Best waterproof treatment for leather boots?

Ex-chemist, innit.

Monopropellants frighten the living poo out of me. If you can find a copy, there's a fabulous book called "Ignition! The History of liquid fuelled rocketry" which talks about monopropellants, including the story of the people who suggested a stochiometric mixture of liquid methane and liquid oxygen as such.

Apparently it could be made to detonate by shining a bright light on it.

Reply to
Huge

That's why I added the Mountaineer and Country Sports which are not service dominated.....

Reply to
Gordon

ROTFL!

Reply to
Gordon

Don't you mean Isopropyl nitrate. Boom. Jesus?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Desert rats, you know. Ho yus..... :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

More detail, please....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Q. What's the difference between a bad golfer and a bad skydiver?

A. One goes [whack], "Damn", and the other goes "Damn", [whack].

Reply to
Huge

Why, does using castor oil stop the desert rats chewing the leather?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Suffice it to say that (a) the entire worldly goods required for a four week family holiday in Scotland, including an almost complete series of Observers Guide To..., camping gaz stove, picnic table and chairs, and jacket and tie for the males for the evenings, *can* be fitted into a Hillman Imp if it's packed *properly*; (b) packing a car boot *properly* can never take less than one morning; (c) the entire 1,000 mile journey can be undertaken without referring to roadsigns en route as every turning will have been planned on Ordnance Survey maps months in advance[1] and transferred to The Itinerary (along with timings and odometer readings[2]); (d) a Hillman Imp requires slightly different road conditions to a four-tonner; and (e) said Itinerary always ignored the need for a three-year-old child to have periodic Vomit Stops.

Even the SAS don't train at Cape Wrath.

Owain

[1] and years out of date. I remember going round and round and round a Walls ice-cream factory somewhere in The Midlands because they'd built a motorway... [2] The sort of thing the AA website can do now in seconds, but this was all done on an Imperial Model 7 typewriter.
Reply to
Owain

On a related topic, does anyone have a UK source for litre-ish quantities of lanolin?

Car boot sale today, where I bought a large, but tired-out Gladstone bag. I'm going to need to brew up some more leather dressing.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

might do a sample bottle?

Or if this is suitable

+ VAT per litre

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Or even Isopropyl nitrate. Boom !!!

Hello Jesus, long time no see, where's the bar?

If I'd known I was coming I'd have packed some hand cream.

;-)

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Not a combination that nature intended.

It sounds like the Consolidated - Vultee (later Convair) "Peacemaker" B36 A (failed) competitor to the B52.

"A 600-room hotel, or 120 five-room houses could be heated by the anti-icing equipment installed on the B-36 superbomber. In an hour the giant plane's anti-icing equipment turns out 4,290,000 BTUs."

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Just checked the film, yes they are B36s, numbered 049 and 072.

I loved "The RAF's tremendously powerful weapon to come is the Valiant" on the soundtrack. It's only seven minutes of film, but full of nostalgia for an RAF brat like me whose family were quartered for a time by the runway at Honington. I can recall both the Valiant and the Victor squadrons but we left before the arrival of Buccaneers.

Reply to
Steve Firth

They'll not be bothering with solar panels on that then...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I think it will be Flints. I just want a catalogue from a "Theatrical Chandler", what a wonderful trade!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Flints are excellent.

Reply to
Kate XXXXXX

My parents were never in the forces, they spent WW2 sewing uniforms in the tailoring factories in Leeds, in addition to them both doing different fire watch shifts several nights per week. Apparently putting incendiary bombs out was quite good fun.

In the early 1950s the term "Bomber" was used to describe any large aeroplane. It seems a little incongruous now to think of a mother comforting her frightened child by saying when a DC3 came over..

"Hush, hush go back to sleep, it's alright, **It's only a bomber**.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Andy Hall