Best paint to use on kitchen ceiling?

The likes of Dulux and Crown suggest that their matt paints are not suitable for kitchen ceilings, yet I believe a matt finish is best.

Am I correct that other surface finishes, ie eggshell etc have a slight sheen to them?

Reply to
Fredxxx

yes, and is more wipeable and more water resistant.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:2f96e34a-e6af-45eb-a93e- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

....and it will show all the imperfections in the ceiling finish.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Why do you believe that?

Yes. Although some are almost matt. Paints formulated for kitchens have to stand up to steam, condensation, organic vapours and fats. Matt finishes aren't very good in that environment and harder to clean.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Dulux matt is fine IME. Unless you are running a chip shop.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Those were my thoughts and I'm wondering how many times the ceiling is going to get a wash, or even a wipe?

Any accidents involving ketchup would probably require a new coat of paint regardless of paint type/finish.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Because that seems to be the case unless you know something I don't.

I have regarded paints formulated for kitchens to be washable, something I believed ceiling doesn't need to be.

Kitchen paints seem to have quite a sheen.

Reply to
Fredxxx

No chip shop, though the occasional fry up!

Reply to
Fredxxx

You can pick a prettier matt finish, not fry much and accept it'll need repainting after so many years. Or go with eggshell etc, then it can be cleaned more & last longer.

I see no sense arguing for one or the other.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I have never cleaned a ceiling - but my experience with walls is that a squirt of Mr Muscle and a gentle wipe will remove marks and not the paint. The main thing is to use a cleaner that will emuslify the grease and then water will remove it.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

En el artículo , Fredxxx escribió:

I managed to splat ketchup with jalapeño peppers over the kitchen ceiling last week. It cleaned off without any staining after a couple of days sitting there. The finish? Eggshell.

I also use eggshell on the bathroom ceiling, it doesn't peel off after a while with condensation like emulsion does.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Do you not have a woman to tell you want to she wants the ceiling painting with and all other criteria is thrown out the window?

Reply to
ARW

I reckon its just as quick to paint a kitchen ceiling compared to trying to clean it, unless its just a few splats.

Reply to
ss

it does, but lasts a lot longer

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I've not had any issues with peeling paint on any of our bathroom ceilings over the years

Reply to
Chris French

Hmmm Lets just say the walls aren't going to be magnolia!

Reply to
Fredxxx

In the end I got Dulux kitchen+ which is a matt paint and claims to be grease and stain resistant!

Reply to
Fredxxx

I've never noticed much difference between paints when I could see, nor has anyone else since, and it was Dulux. The only issue is that the ceiling needs to be fairly non porous for most modern paints it seems the older stuff was more gloopy and covered better. brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Ceiling done and looks fine.

Walls are a different story. It seems that Dulux Kitchen+ is better than Nitromors at removing old paint down to plaster.

What a pain! Any ideas?

Reply to
Fredxxx

:-)