BBC post Scottish Independence

Does anyone know what will happen to the BBC if the Scotts leave UK? Will they have to pay us for BBC Scotland? Will we get a licence rebate?
On 14/09/2014 19:11, Lawrence wrote:

Nobody ****Knows**** anything about what will happen to anything if the Scotts leave the UK.
Its all currently bluster and lies from politicians - working out the details doesn't even start until after the vote.
(How anyone can come to an informed descision in the circumstances is completely beyond me, but luckily I don't have to vote)
--
Chris

On 14/09/14 19:33, news wrote:

+1.
Presumably BBC Scotland will become the pravda of the north, and be spun out and charged to willing taxpayers to broadcast an unending stream of hatred and vilification of the English, who will be blamed for every cockup Salmond makes far far longer than he has blamed Margaret Thatcher..

I didn't think it was possible to live that long
On 14/09/2014 19:33, news wrote:

Actually 90% of the bluster and lies are from the SNP. God help them if the vote is yes when the reality strikes the electorate.
--
Peter Crosland

Reply address is valid
On 14/09/2014 22:04, Peter Crosland wrote:

No, no-one should help them not even god.
I do wonder whether they will conclude that full independence is not worth the cost and the effort when they start making plans.
--
Michael Chare

Even if the vote is yes, Scotland won't become independent until 2016 - which is at least one renewal away. It's my guess that any new SBC will be allocated their fair share of the cash already collected, and thereafter they'll have to organise their own system of finance.
--
Ian

On 14/09/2014 19:57, Ian Jackson wrote:

Seems like they (i.e. Scotland) have already had their fair share...
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/11/independent-scotland-bbc-license-fee-impartiality
Perhaps those left in the rest of the UK will get a reduction? (Fat chance, I know. :-) )
--
Rod

On 14/09/2014 20:14, polygonum wrote:

If they don't come to some agreement to keep the BBC, would it be the end of Freesat. Why should the Scots watch BBC TV paid for by the English and Welsh for free?
--
Michael Chare

Will the Doctor get deported?
--
Adam

ARW wrote

Who ?
"Jabba" wrote in message

Yes.

No one does, that stuff is never decided until they have decided to leave.

Why should they ?

Not a chance.
If they decide to keep the same arrangement of a license, which isnt that likely given that hardly anyone else does it like that, presumably they will just carry on regardless and work out some way of getting what they want from the licence fees they collect from their own.
New Zealand and Ireland do manage fine with similar numbers.
Lawrence wrote

I'm still wondering what currency they will use. I reckon the Groat fits the bill. I believe it was the Scottish currency until we civilised them...
On Sunday, September 14, 2014 9:50:19 PM UTC+1, Jabba wrote:

The currency was the pound Scots.
The groat was actually a type of coin which was issued in England, Scotland, and many other countries.
Owain
On 14/09/14 22:34, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

wasn't it the name given to a silver sixpence?
Or was it fourpence?
"The groat is the traditional name of a long-defunct English silver coin worth four English pennies, and also a Scottish coin originally worth fourpence, with later issues being valued at eightpence and one shilling."
There ya go. H/T wiki

Jabba wrote:

*Would* use.

I suspect they'd end up with the poond, which would work like the punt did for Ireland until 1978.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_pound
--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

Dr Who is based in Cardiff, which was in Wales the last time I checked.
On 14/09/2014 22:18, Jabba wrote:

Peter Dougan Capaldi (born 14 April 1958) is a Scottish actor and film director. Wasn't that the reference?
--
Rod

polygonum wrote

Last I heard he was a resident of Crouch End.