B&Q Trade account, SMS, and their advertising

I was looking to get a B&Q Trade account set up (for which I meet the requirements) but the quid pro quo is that they want ways to 'inform me of special offers' etc.

I don't mind them having my email address but I don't want to give them my mobile number. Unfortunately they apparently insist on a mobile number that they can send SMS text advertising to.

Anyone else had this issue with B&Q Trade accounts and, if it wasn't acceptable to you either, what did you do to get round it?

James

Reply to
James Harris

Give them a dodgy mobile number, or the number of someone you don't like,

Reply to
David Lang

If they don't verify the number by requiring you to text back, try 07700 900000 to 900999 and see how long it takes them to notice.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

For the above: I looked around for a web service that would allow me to receive and send SMS text messages online. That should work as long as I could get a dedicated, i.e. private, mobile phone number.

Most sites I found were for bulk SMS sending services. Yuck.

Some sites have free shared numbers where everyone can read what's sent to the number. Not quite what I need.

Others seem to have private numbers that can be rented on a monthly basis. That would do for me. The best-looking one I found was

but I cannot find out anything useful about the site so I don't know how legitimate it is.

Anyone know about that site or know of another online service that would allow private SMS communication?

James

Reply to
James Harris

According to the sales assistant they require verification.

James

Reply to
James Harris

An interesting list but according to the sales assistant they do require verification.

Advertising seems to be a big part of the B&Q Trade arrangement. If you want to opt out of postal adverts you apparently cannot just say No or tick a box online but need to write to them by post to "request" it.

James

Reply to
James Harris

Buy a 'burner' PAYG SIM with minimal credit and stick it an old phone?

Reply to
Andy Burns

A pay as you go cheap phone and let it expire? Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Why would you want a B&Q trade account?

Reply to
David Lang

Lots of reasons. Unlike Wickes, for example, B&Q trade prices are lower for some items than their prices to the general public.

I also cannot get Ikea or Selco to deliver large items to a certain UK address as they don't have branches nearby.

You have a point?

James

Reply to
James Harris

What if you simply don't have a mobile number? Not everyone has a mobile.

Reply to
cl

What annoys me is systems that insist on a *mobile* number for sending SMS texts to. Our Gigaset phones on our landline receive texts perfectly OK but I can't, for example, persuade the bank that a landline number is OK for their verification texts. Apart from anything else mobile reception at our house is decidedly flakey, landline is much more reliable.

Reply to
cl

Tell them you haven't got one.

Reply to
Huge

No, just wondered. B&Q in general aren't cheap.

Reply to
David Lang

I am currently in London and in one case I need to get things like a bath, a sink, tiles & some 8x4 ply to an address in Aberdeen where I have someone doing some work for me. I would welcome knowing of a better-value supplier for this (or simpler requirements!).

James

Reply to
James Harris

There are several sellers on ebay where the actual order is fulfilled by Je wsons, Plumbase etc, often at competitive prices becase the ebay seller buy s large volumes but has minimal overheads. Certainly cheaper than paying £25 for a Wickes Big and Bulky delivery.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Ah, that'll be yours then?

Reply to
Unbeliever

I seem to remember you used to frequent them quite often - what made you stop?

Reply to
Unbeliever

The only time you've ever said something sensible.

Reply to
Unbeliever

They started in 1969 - a few years after you retired as a failed foreman.

Reply to
David Lang